SW asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 months ago

How to dispute a credit reporting and deal with a debt collector?

A debt collector reported a default payment of about $200 to 3 credit bureaus on my credit history. That is a medical payment to a hospital that occurred 6 years ago and I believe I paid off the balance by installment then. So I started to disputed it with one of credit bureaus - Experian. While the case is still open, the debt collector company sent a mail directly, requesting for evidence (to prove I paid off the debt before) or a payment from me. Shouldn't the debt collector prove to Experian that the debt is valid rather than asking me to prove I paid off? How should I handle this situation? Thanks!

Contact or visit the hospital, ask for confirmation your debt was paid in full.  Once you have that contact the debt collector and tell them the debt was paid in full and does not exist.  Tell them if they want to sue you will happily show the judge it was paid.  Then listen to what they say.

You pull out your records and show the statement where it has a zero balance.

I kept my proof of my installment agreements for 7 years.

When I worked collections 30+ years ago, we never reported on anyone credit. It was the creditors department.

The debt is assumed valid unless you can prove otherwise. It would not be in collection if it was paid. Except in very, very rare cases. (Like almost never)

Your dispute will not be successful unless you can prove you already paid it.

The entire 4 months I collected, we never sent anyone anything proving their debt.

If its 6 years old, it might fall off in a year even if you don't pay it.