jay asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Help with childproofing?

So my 2 year old loves to play outside. We have a large fenced in back yard and a patio out back. The problem is with our sliding glass door. My son loves to try to climb on the little lip of the door to attempt to open it and play an inside outside thing. The lip is about 2 feet off the ground as there is a few steps up to it and I would hate for him to hurt his head on the concrete patio because he lost his grip. We keep a good eye on him and get him down but more and more it's like that's all he wants to do. We have looked at temporary fencing options but as big as our patio would be to fence in it would be a lot of money on a chance it would work. Anyone have any ideas how to block off this lip so he can't hurt himself?

• Mark

The only way to truly child proof is not

having kids @ all so of you're under 25 w/no

income than pls do follow the guide lines my

Dude cuz !

• PR

A pic would be glorious. I can't picture this, though it makes perfect sense to you. Take son out a lot to play.

Put a lock or latch on the door that he can't reach. It is quite dangerous for him to get out unattended, no matter how high or low the entrance. 

Provide good exercise options inside, maybe a rice table or water play. Lots of walks and visits to parks and nature areas/centers. Our granddaughter has gone to more museums, parks, and nature centers in her young 17 months, than I have in my entire life. Learning is a NOW thing, and his brain is developing right now. He knows this.

Take him exploring, because that's obviously what he wants to do.

• edward

My patio door has a lock on it. My son couldn’t open it even if he wanted to.

They make little ramps to provide wheelchair access over those sliding door lips and that could provide the added surface for his little foot to not "fall" off and maybe deter him form trying to balance on it.  And then maybe give him something else to balance on in the grass.

• jay2 months agoReport

That's actually a brilliant idea I need to try that. Thank you!

Sometimes you just have to make things off limits for their personal safety - he cannot understand the why, but he needs to accept that he can't do it.

When he tries to climb up, take him down. 

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

If he pitches a fit, you say, "if you pitch a fit, we go inside", then do it.

It will take a few times for him to get the message that attempting to climb up there is not allowed.

Source(s): Personal experience with our now 24 year old daughter who we jokingly said was a member of the MOD squad (Mistress of Disaster).
    • Ranchmom1

Yep, you just have to keep doing it - never allow him to stay up there. Two year olds are persistent, but if he never gets any fun out of it, eventually he will give it up.