Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Do you agree with Westbrook Baptist Church that coronavirus is a punishment from God for legalizing gay marriage ?

** Westboro 

I follow Yeshua, and I will tell you that I don't have enough information about the spiritual side of this to be able to make such bold statements. I don't know where you live, but I live in the US, and we are not a theocracy here, so there is no national agreement to follow scripture. However, we His people are bound by a commitment of faithfulness to follow scripture, so if it falls on anyone for that it would be us, because we would have broken the faith. And that's as far as I can go into absolutes in this matter based on the knowledge that I have. All through history people have gotten sick, and it's not always from God. Sometimes it's from going outside in the cold after a shower or some like thing. And sometimes God sends things that aren't liked so much (as in Jobs case) and He doesn't explain it (also as in Jobs case). He doesn't have to. He's God.

All that to say that if anyone is giving absolutes in this matter, they are pulling stuff out of their you-know-what and they are not to be listened to.

Absolutely not. Coronavirus is NOT a result of God punishing us at all. In fact James 1:13 tells us 'when under trial,  let no one say " I am being tried by God ". For with evil things God cannot be tried,  nor does he himself try anyone.

In fact, most people don't realise that the bible actually says that the whole world is in the control of the wicked one at 1 John 5:19.

However,  all of this is soon to change as bible prophecy indicates that we are living in what the bible calls the last days. Jehovah God will soon bring about his original purpose and these awful things that affect us now will soon be a thing of the past. 

For any further info or to get bible based answers to your questions,  please visit jw.org 

I do not agree with them, but with this renowned Baptist minister who lived through not 1 but 2 pandemic plagues in his lifetime, ministering to the sick in his large congregation. Many Christians in it died of these plagues, but they were God-fearing, moral people. They were afflicted just as the rest of the population. This was a century before any government legalized homosexual unions. Charles H. Spurgeon (U.K. Baptist) said regarding the Cholera Outbreak of 1854 (according to the source below, written by Geoff Chang, associate pastor Hinson Baptist Church Portland, Oregon): 

"As a young village preacher, Charles Spurgeon admired the Puritan ministers who stayed behind to care for the sick and dying during the Great Plague of London in 1665. Now in the fall of 1854, the newly called pastor of the New Park Street Chapel in London (England) found himself pastoring his congregation amid a major cholera outbreak in the Broad Street neighbourhood just across the river. [Here's what Spurgeon wrote about it]

'If there ever be a time when the mind is sensitive, it is when death is abroad. I recollect, when first I came to London, how anxiously people listened to the gospel, for the cholera was raging terribly. There was little scoffing then. In the year 1854, when I had scarcely been in London twelve months, the neighbourhood in which I laboured was visited by Asiatic cholera, and my congregation suffered from its inroads. Family after family summoned me to the bedside of the smitten, and almost every day I was called to visit the grave. I went home, and was soon called away again; that time, to see a young woman. She also was in the last extremity, but it was a fair, fair sight. She was singing, — though she knew she was dying, — and talking to those round about her, telling her brothers and sisters to follow her to Heaven, bidding goodbye to her father, and all the while smiling as if it had been her marriage day. She was happy and blessed. 

All day, and sometimes all night long, I went about from house to house, and saw men and women dying, and, oh, how glad they were to see my face! When many were afraid to enter their houses lest they should catch the deadly disease, we who had no fear about such things found ourselves most gladly listened to when we spoke of Christ and of things Divine'."

Spurgeon lived through that and the next plague of 1866, though many of his parishioners died. Many arrogant Baptists in America need to humble themselves and stop being so self-righteous, for God will not be mocked.

No I don't agree. EDIT For one thing Jesus said He did NOT come to condemn the world but that the world through Him might be saved (John 3: 17 & 18).  This principle that Jesus isn't JUDGING the world is confirmed in John 12:47 when Jesus says, "If anyone hears My words and does not believe I DO NOT JUDGE HIM FOR I DID NOT COME TO JUDGE THE WORLD, BUT TO SAVE THE WORLD." (John 12:47)  Then the next verse goes on to say that those who reject Jesus will have their judgement ON THE LAST DAY - that's not yet. This proves that God and Jesus Christ love us and God says He is kind to the UNTHANKFUL and the EVIL (Luke 6:35).  It's not God's will that anyone perish but that ALL should come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9). As a matter of fact, God is even delaying Christ's coming in order to give more sinners time to get saved.  Once the gospel has been preached in all the world for a witness to all nations, then the end will come (Matt 24:14). So in other words, God is delaying His judgement to mankind still, so He won't take vengeance or punish unbelievers until He returns (2 Thess 1: 8 & 9) as we are still living in the dispensation of God's Grace & mercy 

• susan

Oh are they saying that? Pretty widespread punishment to put on the whole world just because one or two countries legalized gay marriage. Fortunately, I don't believe Westboro Baptist Church speaks for God, so I can just ignore those jerks.

• e9601:

No I don't. God allowed the virus for reasons no man can know.

• e9601:

Of course God didn't cause the virus. That's not what I said. He ALLOWED it for a reason we don't know.

Yes it is a punishment. 

• 2 months agoReport

Going to church and spreading Covid-19 around is just what God wants. Then we can get on a plane and spread the virus some more. Americans are really dumb, right? It's Gods punishment for Americans being thick, dumb and stupid.

I don't know either way. One thing is certain: Worse things are coming if we don't give up our sins -- gay or straight.

I might agree that coronavirus is a punishment from God for legalizing the Westbrook Baptist Church.

• tesorotx

No,but there are many sins to say only one segment of this world is being punished is not right. Sex outside of marriage is scripturally wrong, why aren’t you reasoning that as the reason?

Even God would find it impossible to agree with anything they say.

Note that they slaim to speak on behalf of a dude who spent his public life living with 12 other dudes.