promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Jason asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 2 months ago

How do we stop fridge food from going off in a electricity blackout ?

Media warns of blackouts in the UK because of the Coronavirus

28 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

That's why people shouldn't hoard vast quantities of frozen food in their giant chest freezers.  If your fridge breaks down, you can put your food in the coldest room (north facing) or in your garden (north facing shade) and it'll be fine for a few days.  Or alternatively you could start cooking batch meals and share them out to your neighbours.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

I EAT MINE .

BUT I buy dry  food and tinned or long lasting food .

depends on how long power cut is for and what about tropical fish  keeping aquarium at the correct temperature ?

when I had a power cut a few months ago the temperature dropped  to a really low level but fish were ok  although I do not know about filter of water and if it had gone on for a month .

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There is no reason to have black outs because of this. It takes about 12 people to run a power station (yes there are maintenance crews,)but generally only a few people in the control room, and individuals at different locations.

Besides maintaining power is pretty essential - for hospitals for a start.

• 2 months ago

Take advantage of this the situation and use it as an excuse to do that job of defrosting your fridge you’ve been meaning to get around doing this past year 

• Who
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

We have had a self defrosting freezer for 13 years - Its NEVER needed defrosting

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You'd need a gas generator.

Don't buy into the panic and lies the media is trying to spread. Even if the power goes out, it's not the end of the world.

• 2 months ago

buy a generator... oops.. buy a solar charger panel and a few storage batteries and a 12 volt freezer if your a global warming freak and use those. 

'

DO NOT BUY A GENERATOR as they use FOSSIL FUEL to run... OOPS you cant get a 12v freezer because it takes fossil fuel to build them.. You jous go to do like they did 150 years ago... eat fresh food, cook with wood... oops can't because you gotta go green so no cutting of trees either... ''

Best answer... eat ORGANIC things you grow yourself and only pick what you can eat..STOP WASTING by making so much to star with.

• 2 months ago

You'll need an generator that will kick in if the power gets turned off. It will not be cheap and it's not a do-it-yourself project.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's the media hyping it yet again trying to panic people.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I have no idea...

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Keep the door closed, as the black outs will hopefully be short.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.