Can I file taxes if I don't work and haven't since 2012 and make no income?

I'd like to file taxes to be eligible to receive the covid 19 stimulus check from the govt but I haven't filed taxes because I haven't been employed since 2012 . I'm 28 years old male and collect ebt food stamps and live with my parents . Is it possible I can still file taxes so I can receive the stimulus check? How do I do so? Thank you 

Yes you can and should. Read what I just posted SSDI and Stimulus.

You can't file a tax return if you have no income. Your return won't have anything to report. And it will be rejected, waste the time and effort of those at the IRS and do absolutely nothing to ensure you receive a check. Besides, if you live with your parents are you their dependent? If so, you aren't even eligible for a check. 

no you have to have money in order to get any and not having a job doesn't count

• Eva

You cannot file taxes with no income. You do not qualify for a check.

• Andee2 months agoReport

"You do not qualify for a check" is bad information. #1 You can file taxes with no regular income, per the IRS.gov website. #2 Ineligibility is based on other things, NOT whether you have income or not. Please don't answer if you have not done your research or work in the field.

• L

NO.  NO income - NO reason to file for taxes because NO taxes were taken out of  your income.

• John2 months agoReport

Doesn't mean you CAN'T file.  Just means it would be a waste of time to do so.

Can you file income taxes? You have no income... so it would be a waste of time.

You can file, sure. Giant waste of time. If you file a zero income return, you still are not eligible for the stimulus check.  In addition, you are clearly a dependent of your parents, and are then disqualified further from receiving a stimulus check.

No...it sounds  like your parents support you and claim you as a dependent.

• Amy

@T adults can be claimed as dependents. You can even claim your parents as dependents. The requirements are more stringent than for children - they have to have basically zero income.

• John

Based on your message, you probably can be claimed as a dependent by your parents.  That would disqualify you.

If you are a dependent of your parents, you won't be getting a stimulus check even if you file a tax return.