Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 months ago

Do atheists make a claim when they say that God does not exist?

• nappa

they will all get to meet him one day,, they will be surprised he is real

We are not addressing the existence of Gods, we are addressing the "claims" that Gods exist. Without the "claim", nobody would be thinking Gods in the first place. Sort of like if no one brought up magical fairies, it would never cross our minds. In the same manner one would state that magical fairies don't exist, one can state that Gods don't exist. It not really a claim but rather a rejection of a claim that can't find any real support. Nonexistence is the default when nothing can be had for possible or actual existence. Unlike life granting the possibility of other life in our universe, there is nothing to grant any possibility of Gods or magical fairies, thus the default is they don't exist. You need evidence and reasoning to support the possibility to "claim" that possibility. You need evidence and reasoning to support actual existence, to "claim" actual existence. There is no claim for nonexistence because it requires "nothing" since nonexistence leaves "nothing" to make a claim with.

If those are their words, "God does not exist", then yes. The rest of us merely reject the positive claim

Yes, they do. And so they had better provide some evidence to shore it up, or at least give us a logical methodology by which we may know they are right.

• Paul

Yes. An unsupportable and ridiculous claim of course.

• Shadow

No. Atheism is not a claim. It’s religious nut jobs who initiate their “god” claims because they are delusional since they are all words and no physical evidence to show.

• Sky

Yes.  If an atheist makes the claim that "god does not exist" or "no gods exist", that is a positive assertion that carries the same burden of proof that is carried by theists who claim that a god or gods do exist.  Even other atheists will challenge that claim and tell that atheist making the claim that they need to provide evidence.  That's why in general atheists don't make such a claim.  We will say we don't believe the claims that a god exists, which is the basis of atheism.  We may even say we believe that no gods exist, which is a statement of belief, not an assertion.  But we know better than to make the claim that no gods exist due to that burden of proof.

If they say that, yes, it is a claim. I'm not always very careful about how I say things, but personally, I try not to say that God doesn't exist; I only say that I don't believe (at all) that God exists. If I'm being really specific, I say that I believe God exists, but only as a concept within minds, not outside of minds.

If they declare it AS FACT. Yes.

Yes of course, but to their minds that claim is a no-brainer.