My grieving friend has completely cut contact. Can anyone advise me on what to do? ?

A close family member of my friend unexpectedly died recently. We spoke a lot through it all, i promised I’d be there for him. This was 4 weeks ago, then last week he has suddenly stopped reading any supportive message I’ve sent him. Has this happened to anyone? I know to leave them be to grieve but I’m unsure of the reason behind the sudden cut in contact. He still acknowledges things on my social media so I know I haven’t upset him. Just looking for advise as I’m not familiar with grief or how it can affect people, I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing to help that’s all  

Many people who are grieving don't feel like getting cheered up. And they don't need to be cheery. It's like an added burden of responsibility for YOUR feelings and it can break the bank. You don't mention how OFTEN you've sent "supportive messages" but if it's more often than once a week.. .it might seem more a demand than support.

Perhaps you inadvertently said something that upset him. It could even be something that reminded him of something in his past that you don't know about - no doubt he is quite sensitive at the moment.

Perhaps a mutual friend can shed some light - and give him the message that you are sad not to be in contact and are concerned that you might have upset him in some way.

• tony

let him grieve in his own way...dealing with death and corona virus is no joke..There's always the possibility that your friend really hasn't shut you out completely,The process of grieving is different for everyone, and it can be a long time before the real pain of loss comes to the surface. The bereaved struggle with many intense and painful emotions, including depression, anger, guilt, and profound sadness.

Grief affects people in different ways and is a process. While the standard time period may be a year or less, it can extend, and should be honored.