I want to extend my WiFi to my barn. I have an access point repeater and a directional antenna.?

(The directional antenna is 15db) my main question is do I hook the directional antenna to my main home router or to my access point repeater? I’d like to put it on my access point repeater and mount it to the side of the barn.

If you only have one directional antenna, it might be better to put it at the barn, so it doesn't interfere with the signal of your home router to your other devices.

But:

Your access point/repeater will need power. If you have power at the barn, that power needs to come from somewhere. And unless you run a seperate generator at the barn, that power would likely come from your house/main panel. So the easiest way to get data to a distribution AP at the barn would be to run a powerline connection (there are also powerline endpoints which have an integrated wireless AP).

The best way of course would be to string a cable (fiberoptic or ethernet, but in the latter case, check the maximum segment lengths for your chosen type of Ethernet connection first).

Oh, talking about segment length - how far is the distance between your home router and the barn in any case?

• P

You would generally need two directional antennas, since they have to communicate back and forth, but I don't think it would work that well.   You would need one powerful repeater in the attic or outside on the side of he house closest to the barn and then another repeater on the side of the barn closest to the house.  An unobstructed path outside would yield the greatest distance.  You can purchase weather sealed plastic enclosures to keep things outside if necessary. 

What an interesting first question to ask from a newly created YA account.

If I wanted to add WIFI to a building that is apart from my home I would look at running an Ethernet cable to that building and then setting up a second wireless router.  That would provide a far better connection than what you are trying to do.