Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Depression from the Coronavirus?

Ever since my University has been closed, I've been living on my own in apartment without seeing people for days, and I'm an extrovert.

Lately, with the pandemic I've been feeling really down. I've been feeling sad, unmotivated, very lonely... My motivation is like a rollercoaster, it's up and down.. But mostly down. 

This is severely affecting my school work. With me feeling down, I don't have enough motivation to finish all my homework or studying. I get my motivation up, I do homework for a few hours, but then I just lose it all and end up wasting the rest of my day trying to bring myself back up again.

I've tried exercising, video calling friends and family, cooking, and more. 

I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I live by myself, so I'm never exposed to people. Video calling my friends and family only gives me happiness temporarily, but it also wastes my time because it causes me to avoid work and prefer talking with them instead. I tried many things to cheer me up, it works at first but then I immediately feel down right afterwards. 

How can I make myself content enough to start my homework every time. How can I have constant, consistent motivation? Do I need to speak to a professional because of how I'm feeling? If so, how do I do that with social distancing? 

This is really important for me to find out what I can do to better myself during this time, I hate seeing myself failing at school because of the pandemic. 

I'll show you an answer with suggestions for having a good time, but first I want to give you a tip from a psychologist.

Distractions can be your friend or your enemy. They will take your mind off your problems for a little while, which is therapeutic, but don't let them dominate you.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200... 

It helps to stick to some kind of daily schedule.

This advice is VERY important - there are behavior modification methods proven with evidence since the 1930s - methods that help with motivation.

This is useful for all kinds of things you don't feel like doing. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Cleaning - start by cleaning for 3 or 4 min and take a 5 min break. Or start by just cleaning the kitchen counters. Homework - start by proofreading a paper or by previewing a chapter you're about to read, looking at headings, sub-headings, etc.

Short breaks are good but always watch the clock. Look for natural breaks, like after you finish a chapter or write an outline.

Staying on task - if you find yourself dawdling, wasting time while you're working, here's a simple fix. Decide how much time it will take to get a task done and do it in that time, watching the clock.

A famous psychiatrist said that when we can't control our feelings we can still control our muscles. If you tell your arms and legs to get you to the bathroom for a shower or outside for a brisk walk, they will obey.

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes. Again, think in terms of taking it step by step and starting with something really easy.

You can take a depression screening test online, such as CESD R.

There's a lot of things that can help with depression.

Of all the basic lifestyle choices, the one with the best evidence is exercise, and you don't have to be an athlete to benefit from it. Research shows that when people suffering from depression go for long walks with family or friends, this is very therapeutic (source - the lifestyle-depression project at the University of Kansas). Things that take your mind off your problems for a while, like a funny movie, are helpful, as long as you don't let them dominate you.

Of all the traditional mind-body practices (meditation, tai chi, etc.), the one with the best evidence for affecting mood disorders is yoga breathing. Slow breathing is used for treating anxiety, depression, panic disorder, and PTSD. It's safe and it doesn't take any training. You can find out about the work of psychiatrists Richard Brown and Patricia Gerbarg and PTSD therapist Emma Seppala in my recent answers.

Details here, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS -

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

• L.2 months agoReport

This was honestly the answer I was looking for, thank you so much 

• Lisa M

I just read that the students graduating this year can't even have a convocation ceremony! It's horrible. This is affecting everyone. 

I just started a yahoo group called quaratineisolation for people. I have no idea how to run it but I see a need so started the group up. If anyone wants to join I think it's listed under 'community' groups. 

Try staring out the window and wondering what was, what could be, and what wasn't...thanks !

Sounds a lot like the way I feel.  It is somewhat different for me though because I'm not trying to keep up with a university course of study..I'm not sure this will help, but it actually sounds like you're doing fairly well.. You are getting some home work done & you're maintaining contacts with friends & family.. I would just say don't be so damn hard on yourself, but don't give up

You were made in the image of God for relationships that can be meaningful. God did say it is not good for man to dwell alone. Sometimes it takes striping away all the superficial to reveal the real needs you have. The fear of death or the emptiness of loneliness show is we have a void in our lives whereas people use activity and engagements to never think about those things that depress. But you should listen to your conscience on this. You need to start reconciling with the one who made you. You need a path a way to this. It is the message of the Bible. 

Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation. 

Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 

He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. (2 Corinthians 5:18-21 NASB)

This way with Christ you will have a shepherd who will never desert you. “Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU," so that we confidently say, "THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?" (Hebrews 13:5-6 NASB) or for COVID-19 for that matter. 

I am in the same boat. Be sure to find someone understanding who you can talk to about it. Maybe if your school has counseling or if you have an understanding parent or friend. 

My regards. 

I completely understand where you're coming from right now. I feel it too, in a lot of ways, even though my life is completely different from yours. I am a mom of 2 and a step-mom of 2. My husband is working still, kids are home from school, and it's all on me to home school them and take care of the house (which I honestly love doing!). The problem is, I haven't had enough space from people, enough time to be alone with myself and to take care of myself without the pressure of taking care of others making me rush through or completely ignore my own self-care.

I know this sounds completely opposite your situation, but I think there may be common ground beneath the surface if you don't mind hanging in there. 

Currently, the isolation isn't affecting me because I've spent many years of my life feeling isolated, even when around many people. I think, to an extent, I still feel this way. That being said, I would spend my time cleaning, cooking, watching TV, reading books, hanging out with friends, taking classes and even playing video games when I was younger. None of these things are inherently wrong, in fact many are healthy activities. Unfortunately, it wasn't what I was doing that was the problem, it was why I was doing it. I realized my only motivation was to escape my inner world as much as possible. I would do anything to get out of my own head, to get away from myself and my inner emotional state and thoughts. Even sometimes to the point where I would put on this face of positivity, making it appear as if I still had everything together and like I was overcoming all of these obstacles and challenges. 

The fact is, I was only running away from facing them. I understand you're an extrovert, which I am not, and maybe that does have a part to play in why you're struggling the way you are. But, maybe it's that you are facing the reality of being kept from certain activities that allowed yourself to feel okay before. Maybe this is an amazing opportunity for growth and recognition of yourself, an opportunity to give yourself the attention and love that you need that only you have the power to give to yourself. Without these external things we've grown to rely on to bring us joy, peace and a sense of security, isn't this the most profound time to look for it within? With this opportunity to be alone with ourselves we can acknowledge our suffering, and instead of telling ourselves hurtful lies like we're not good enough, that we're unlovable, that we're somehow restricted from something we need etc., and realize that it's only a condition of the mind, not of our circumstances. In fact, we can only thank our circumstances for providing us an opportunity to feel the totality of the suffering and to see it for what it is. This is a blessing because, although it's painful, it point directly to which action to take so that we can change the thought patterns that are no longer serving us. 

I don't know if this has helped you at all, and I apologize if this is completely unrelated to your struggle, but my only intention is to bring you some kind of peace of mind and some lightness about your situation because I know how painful it is to feel isolated. If anything, I would encourage you to reach out to someone to talk to about this. Video chats with family and friends is great, but if by chance you're pretending you're okay when you're really not, then you're not experiencing true connection, which is the source of isolation. I acknowledge that it was a brave act for you to put yourself out there in this way, and that's something to truly celebrate! It's not easy being vulnerable, but when we do it we open ourselves up to experience true deep connection, and sometimes that's all that's needed to relieve the pain or numbness you're experiencing.

• L.2 months agoReport

it was really nice to hear this, thank you 

Matthew 5:3 says “Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need.” jw.org has free online bible lessons. It also has answers for why we are having a pandemic (2 Timothy 3:1-5). And hope for the future at Revelation 21:3,4. I know you will find great comfort in the Bible. Best regards to you in these times.

I feel bad for you.

I'm older and do not need anyone at all.

Try going for a walk.

• OTTO

Set up a special place for schoolwork and only do schoolwork in that place. Do one hour and then take a break.

Open up the shades to let sunlight in or turn on your lights. Bright lights makes some people happy. 

Get a pet.  You can talk to him or play with him if you’re lonely.