promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Does it matter if I wash my hands with cold or warm water in order to reduce my risk of getting the Coronavirus?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

It has been proved that COVID-19 can survive in any temperature - hot or cold. So no, it doesn't matter if you use cold water or warm water. As long as you use soap to wash your hands thoroughly, it is the best line of action to avoid catching the virus.

This is because SARS-COV-2 (the virus) is encased in a layer of fat, known as the lipid envelope. Soap breaks that fat apart, which makes the virus unable to infect you. It also makes your skin slippery, so with the mechanical motions of washing your hands, the virus is ripped away. 

So, technically the important thing isn't about the temperature of the water, but making sure you use soap to wash your hands properly. That is what's going to get rid of the virus to stop infection. 

Attachment image
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

No, bacteria and viruses don’t die until it reaches temperatures of 65°C+ and you have to be very hardcore to wash your hands in that temperature of water. Therefore it is the soap that you use which is the important aspect.

• 2 months ago

I doubt it makes a difference but id still do warm water 

• 2 months ago

Yes - it makes a big difference.  The outer coat of the virus is made of protein strands that are twisted and folded together and held that way by weak chemical bonds.  Warmth loosens the chemical bonds between the strands.  When you add soap for 20 seconds, the viral coat falls apart.   Cold water preserves the protein structure and makes soap less effective.  Washing with cold water still has the benefit of rinsing away the virus, but it may not actually kill the virus.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i dont think so

• DW
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Doesn't matter. The idea is to get soap and water everywhere - including in all the little crevices and folds and stuff, which is why it takes 20 seconds.

Water that's hot enough to kill the virus with heat is too hot to use on your skin. I'm not sure if very cold water also kills it with temperature, if so, it's the same problem.

• ...Show all comments
    • DW
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Do you scrub a dish for 20 seconds? It's a different surface and a different kind of soap. Wash your hands with whatever is comfortable or whatever is available.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The warmer or hotter the better.        But the friction kills virus or so I heard       

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.