promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Jehovah's Witnesses: Why don't Orthodox Jews abstain from blood transfusions. Do you know the OT better than these deeply devoted people?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

The question is, what counts as consumption?

A good rule of thumb is before you consume something, you make a blessing. 

You do not make a blessing on medicine, because it is not considered a food and source of pleasure, but a means of saving life. 

Similarly, one does not make a blessing on IV nutrition, given that there is no pleasure in it. 

Therefore, it is not considered consumption, in of itself and would not be considered eating blood.

However, given the added protection of pikuach nefesh, blood transfusions are never problematic.

Obviously, the studied Jewish understanding differs from the distorted concept of the JW.

When any Church of G-d defies the Jewish teaching of the Torah problems result, in this case we note a clear error.

Furthermore, the preservation of life is the single most important tenet of Judaism. That’s why Judaism is the most humane religion.

Sources:

Shulchan Aruch/Orech Chayim section 204:7

Rabbi Eliezer Yehuda Waldenberg, the late judge of the Supreme Rabbinical Court in Jerusalem.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

The reality is blood transfusions didn't exist in ancient times. Whether or not a blood transfusion is forbidden would depend on your religion. Jehovah's Witnesses have different beliefs to Orthodox Jews. There are also many laws that may be overridden to save a life in Judaism even if it was forbidden. 

From Judaism's point of view, there is no concern because unless it is one of the 613 commandments then we are not directly violating the Torah.

To give a good example: It is not forbidden by biblical law for a Jew to eat fowl and milk together although it is rabbinically forbidden. We may not however eat cattle or animals that produce a 'kid' i.e. offspring and we must be sensitive to the pain of a mother losing its young or vice versa. Not to kill it on the same day!  We also must not cook offspring in its mothers milk. We are not concerned with all these factors with a chicken. Not to mention chicken don't breastfeed their chicks.

The Torah repeats itself on three separate occasions not to "cook a kid in its mother's milk" to teach us three different reasons which are not explicitly enumerated word for word in the Torah scroll/bible itself. This comes from the Oral Torah or tradition which God taught to Moses and subsequently taught to the people. You will not find anywhere in the bible how to slaughter an animal to make it kosher or how to circumcise. Such answers can only be found in the Oral Tradition or Talmud.

Similarly on Shabbat we may not cut our hair which is a biblical commandment. However biting hair e.g. your mustache is not biblically forbidden only rabbinically forbidden. 

Pouring boiling hot water straight from the urn or kli rishon into a cup of tea that became cold is indirectly cooking if it reaches the point of being Yad Soledet Bo. Although the Torah doesn't say word for word don't cook indirectly on the Shabbat, it is implied because it is still another way of cooking. 

A blood transfusion isn't even a biblical concern for Orthodox Jew because we were not given any commandments that are directly or indirectly CONNECTED to using blood in this manner. Blood can be used to save lives. The rabbis do not see taking in blood for medical reasons to be a rabbinic concern. This is no different to eating medicine. Medicine is not food. Can a Jew have medicine that may be not kosher? Theoretically speaking he can. Although he must consult a rabbi first and try to find alternative ones without non-kosher ingredients then there is a question it is would be imperative to his health. 

As mentioned in the beginning if it is life saving then Orthodox Jews can even voilate biblical commandments. Jehovah's Witnesses disagree with the rabbis and believe blood transfusions violate biblical law. They aren't under the law of Moses but follow their understanding and interpretation of the New Testament. There are instances where JC said a man may not divorce his wife or marry another woman in his or her spouse's lifetime. This is an example of being even MORE STRICT than the Torah. It is not unseasonable for them to be extremely strict. 

Source(s): Orthodox Jew
  • 2 months ago

Because it's dietary, not medical. The Jews actually do know their stuff here, JW culties. Why not ask a rabbi about the rules around what to eat or not? Or hey, I know, ask a rabbi about blood stuff. Go ahead. We'll wait. You won't do it, because arrogance and ignorance are too heady a mix to give up. And all that 'tolerance' for other religions ends pretty damn quick, eh? 

Also, I notice that JW's don't outlaw breastfeeding, where white blood cells are passed via the milk from mother to child. That's, um, against the JW laws about blood. Also, pregnancy. Pregnancy. You'd have to outlaw pregnancy, have all your ladies adopt instead of getting pregnant to maintain actual no blood transfusions yada yada. And I notice you don't do that. Mm. Ouch. 

So hey, farty ones, why not ooze over to another version of Christianity that doesn't teach such murderous policies as this one. 

• 2 months ago

That's excellent, directing attention to what the Bible says. People can say anything but what does Jehovah God say on a matter? That's truly important. So what does the Bible say on abstaining from blood?

Following the Great Flood, God told Noah and his family and by extension all humans, that animals could be eaten as food--except for blood. Animal blood was not to be consumed nor was human blood be shed (Genesis 9:1-6). This ban was not part of the Mosaic Law code. The same account showed that God said that all animals were allowed to serve as food but the Mosaic Law banned a lot of animals as "unclean" and not allowed to serve as food.

However, the issue was raised among first century Christians as some in the early Christian congregation still wanted follow circumcision and othe elements of the Mosaic Law/ The Governing Body at the time considered the matter prayerfully and confirmed the Mosaic Law no longer applied to Christians. However, the ban to abstain from blood still applied (Acts 15:1-20,28,29).

As for devotion, loyalty, zeal, these are all good. But what should we do if we are shown that we have made a mistake and have misguided devotion? (Romans 10:1-10) If I have trained for years to a marathon run in a local course only to be shown news footage there was a construction accident the day before the race and that the marathon officials have announced that the course has been rerouted? Do I continue along the same path or do I follow the new route from the officials?

The apostle Paul said as a pharisee that he had a great deal of zeal but he didn't have accurate knowledge (Phillippians 3:6; 1 Timothy 1:12,13). Apollos had a great deal of faith but he was lacking in knowledge (Acts 18:24-26). An Ethiopian eunich had a spiritual mind but he was lacked knowledge (Acts 8:26-39). However, all three were humble enough to adapt when given accurate knowledge.

Does that mean we should just believe new thing we are taught? Jesus warned against false prophets (Matthew 7:15,16). The Mosaic Law warned against false prophets (Deuteronomy 13:1-5). A fine example was set by the Beoroans who were taught new things by the apostle Paul, but then they compared what he said to the Scriptures to see if it was so (Acts 17:10-12).

So what does the Bible say about blood? In both the Hebrew Scriptures and in the Greek Scriptures, God's Word says to abstain from blood. How each of us respond is ultimately a matter between each person and God. Ultimately each man and woman must face God's judgement (Ecclesiastes 12:1; Galatians 6:4-6). However, now is the time when Jehovah God's will is being preached, as Jesus Christ foretold, so that we can learn what his will is so that we can follow it and gain his approval (Matthew 28:19,20).

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/bi...

https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitem...

• Madam Sin Bin
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

The blood stuff is dietary. I notice the JW's don't outlaw breastfeeding, where women pass white blood cells to their babies via the milk. Or outlaw pregnancy, where blood is passed from mother to child. **** off with your murderous nonsense. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • BMCR
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not sure why you think the laws of Judaism would apply to Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I work with some Orthodox Jews and actually, they don't and won't take blood transfusions.  Their reasons are different from either other but they don't.  I don't think witnesses know the OT better than orthodox Jews but I don't think they base not taking those transfusions on the OT by itself.  I think they use the New Testament too.  The witnesses use the Old and the New Testament for their beliefs.

Edit:  BMCR, Not sure how you think you can tell me what my fellow employees would or would not do.  The Orthodox Jews that I work with don't take them.   Pretty arrogant on your part to tell me it's not true.

• BMCR
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

"They don't and won't take blood transfusions"

That isn't true.

• TeeM
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Orthodox Jews don't believe in Jesus either.

So in answer to your question,  These deeply devoted people do not understand the purpose and teachings of the Old Testament.

Paul said it best:

(Romans 10:1-3) “10 Brothers, the goodwill of my heart and my supplication to God for them are indeed for their salvation. 2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to accurate knowledge. 3 For because of not knowing the righteousness of God but seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.”

• DP.
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

The simple answer is "yes" they definitely believe they know the bible better.

Why else would they claim that they know the full Holy name of God when God gave it to the Jews and they don't know it?Why else would they know that the Jews hid God's name due to superstition?Why else would they teach replacement theology which makes God either a liar or deciever?

• 2 months ago

Bible Answer: God’s law forbids a person to steal, to murder, to commit adultery, to worship idols; so Jehovah’s Witnesses do not do these things. God’s law also forbids the eating of blood. At Genesis 9:3, 4 Jehovah commanded Noah: “Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you. As in the case of green vegetation, I do give it all to you. Only flesh with its soul​—its blood—​you must not eat.” Further, Jehovah said to his people, the Israelites: “‘No soul of you must eat blood and no alien resident who is residing as an alien in your midst should eat blood.’ . . . Consequently I said to the sons of Israel: ‘You must not eat the blood of any sort of flesh, because the soul of every sort of flesh is its blood. Anyone eating it will be cut off.’” (Lev. 17:12-14) So, according to these scriptures, God does not permit man to eat blood.

• ...Show all comments
    • Roberta B
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

BettiDavi245  Thanks for the scriptural response.We try very hard to live up to our dedication.  A few among us have obscured the efforts of most of us to keep our integrity,but in the years that I have been a Witness, I have also seen the changes people make to serve the true God with their lives.

• 2 months ago

JW's are very good at ignoring the content of both the Old and the New Testaments.  That's why they made their own text, The New World Translation, considered heresy by Christian churches.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.