Do you recommend to use an insurance claim for an 800 dollar fix that was not your fault.?

When I was driving in the freeway, I think i hit pretty good size rock flying in the side of my car. I talk to the body shop and they said it would cost 800 dollar to fix the damage in my tesla model 3. In my 10 years of driving, this is the first time of me filing a claim. Would it be wiser to just pay it on my own by cash or use my geico insurance to cover it?

How can a flying rock be your fault?  Never mind, anyway...

If you have Comprehensive coverage, hell yes put a claim in.  Those claims don't count against you, at least not unless you have a whole lot of them close together.

If you had backed into a tree or driven over something, it wouldn't be worth putting in a claim for that amount.  But that's because those are at-fault collisions, not Comprehensive claims.

• Edna

That kind of damage would be covered under Comprehensive in your insurance policy. Yes, file a claim. Depending upon the amount of your deductible, Comprehensive will pay a portion of the cost of repairs. 

A rough example:  You have a $500 deductible, and the total cost of repair is $800. Insurance will pay $300 of the repair cost, leaving you with only $500 out-of-pocket expense, as opposed to the full $800 if you paid it all on your own. 

• May

That would be a comprehensive claim.  In my USA state, and with my My insurance company, comprehensive claims are not surcharged.  IE: Filing a comp. claim will not raise your rates......BUT....Not all states and not all insurance companies have the same rules so get educated before you make a decision

• Ron

LOL Troll. You have 200k in savings, so you claim, and you use geico insurance for your Tesla. 

• Brandy2 months agoReport

It's okay, don't be jealous. This is my very first filing a claim this is why I am asking for advise. I thought filing a claim if it isn't at-fault accident would not affect insurance, thus saving 300 bucks. But to my research, it is best to pay in your pocket, due to carfacts, etc...

If you have full glass coverage, then it might make sense to use your insurance or it might not, depending on whether Geico would increase the amount that you pay for having the insurance.

If you don't have full glass coverage and you use the insurance that you do have, then you'll have to pay your deductible, in addition to any increase in the amount that you pay for having the insurance, so it probably would make more sense to just pay with your own money.

• martin

Ask your agent, but that would come under comprehensive collision coverage. Geico being low-priced insurance, they might raise it too high to make it worth filing a claim. Depends how you are fixed for cash at the moment.

• Brandy2 months agoReport

i have 200k in my savings

• Eva

If you have a $500 deductible, just pay it yourself. Talk to someone that does paintless dent removal first though. I bet you can get it done for less than that.

Pay cash..that way there won't be an insurance claim report that people find when you sell it. Your car insurance won't go up either. What's your deducible? You'll probably have to pay the complete bill anyway.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Brandy2 months agoReport

500 dollar for comprehensive claim

If you have collision insurance you have a deductible. the lowest deductible these days is $500. Pay for the repairs yourself.

• A.J.

1) It is a comprehensive claim. If you don't have comprehensive coverage, I would not claim collision.

2) Check your deductible. You are paying for comprehensive, and if you also have a low deductible, that is what the insurance is for.

3)  Usually, a comprehensive claim does not raise rates. If it raises, it is a tiny bit in Comprehensive.