Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

Can my son get drivers license out of state?

He just turned 16, he has had his permit for over 6 months and completed the drivers training program.  We are in California, and all of the dmvs are closed.  I feel terrible, I bought him a car and he was looking forward to getting his license so much.  I am willing to fly or drive him to any state including alaska or hawaii that will let him get a license this month.  Do I have any options ?

• May

LOL....  

You can't simply go to another state and get a license.   You can only get a drivers license in the state where you reside.

Lets see....You bought him a car, you are willing to fly or drive to anyplace including Alaska and Hawaii ?  Do you think you may be spoiling your Sonny boy a bit too much?  I do.

Or....  Did you Sonny boy and not the parent, ask this question?   Gotcha !

• Ron

Nope. Try again             

No. Even if he could, he still wouldn't be able to drive. To drive in the U.S., a person needs a license from the state where they live. A person who gets a license and then moves to another state has to get a new license there or stop driving, because you are not allowed to drive with a license from a state where you don't live (not even one where you used to live when you got the license).

California is particularly strict about this. No one who lives in CA is allowed to drive in CA without a CA license, even if they have a license from another state.

You have no options. You have to be the resident of the state to get licensed.

• Scott

Bummer. Poor timing. You can only apply for a driver's license in your state of residence. That would be California. Guess what, DMVs in other states are closed too.

• R K

no. you have to get it in the state you live in.

You can only get a driver's license in the state you legally live in.

( I think the 16 year old actually asked this question)

Your drivers license must be issued in your state of residence. It's not only a drivers license but also a form of official and legal ID. Sorry.