My grandfather just passed away, but I also will be starting my new job after quarantine period, what should I do?

My grandpa passed away several hours ago, however during this quarantine period, nobody will be coming to visit us and perform a prayer. Once the quarantine period is over is when my mom will be having extended family and friends over to do a prayer for my grandpa. However, I will be starting my new job, at the same time, I want to spend time with my family during the very difficult time. I don't know what to tell my boss. I flew out to California, but the evening before my flight, he messaged me to come start. I told him I'm flying out and will be returning in a week. He was patient with me.

I came back on the date expected, I followed up and he told me to rest up for the next three days and he will start me after I'm rested. Then I had to be under quarantine so I told him I can't come in during this time and won't be looking for employment until the quarantine period is over and he accepted and said to let him know if I am still interested in joining the team after the quarantine period is over.

I don't know what to do, he's already given me so much time to do what I have to do.

Thank you for all the answers, I had a difficult time choosing best answer. There are quite a few good advice.

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your grandfather.  Your boss has been very kind and understanding already, though there will have to be a limit at some point.  Don't worry about what to do "after the quarantine is over", you most likely will find it extended again. The experts are saying this has only just begun. Good luck,

Sorry for your loss.  You grandfather would like you to go on with life and start the new job.  As much as you would like to be there for a lengthy time I am sure you have done more than enough during this time.   Your family will understand. 

sorry to hear about your grandfather. try to accept this reality and make yourself busy

Don't ask for more time off,after this storm is over,you should be back at your office,long break will greatly reduce the incentive for people to return to the work,I think that do as you are told,

If you change your job during this time,it's difficult to find a suitable job ,unless you are talented,

My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your grandfather. As for your situation, if you have to be in quarantine because of the virus, there's nothing you can do about that, and neither can your boss. I would just relax and not stress about it, because chances are good that your job will be there when the current crisis ends.

• Carmen

Take deep breaths pray for strength to endure this difficult time and situation with loss of your grandmother and this virus quarantine take time to regroup mourn pray for a calm heart too and to remain calm and stay safe and strong the job will be there if it's meant to be my condolences to your family.

Di NOT ask for more time off or you wil lise the job, you should only stay away from work if quarantined, nothing else is excusable or you will have to find a different job

• Starlight 1

That's not true. Especially not if this person is in an "essential" business or industry, or works for the government.

Call him and explain the situation. You need to be there with your family, and your family needs you to be there. 

i would just be honest with him

Are you saying you'd be in CA while mom holds her event and everyone else is in a different state?  If so, to me this is an easy choice.  It sounds like this guy has done everything possible to make it easy on you, and you can't risk a good job by being at a prayer event.  I'm sure you'd be sorry to miss it, but I doubt your grandad would want you asking for him for yet one  more favor.  Besides, can't your mom or someone else set up Skype or Facetime?  She could arrange it for a time you'd be home from work, or even on a weekend.  

• Eva

Don't jerk them around any more. It's not necessary for you to take time off again to fly back out for a prayer service. They've given you a lot of latitude so far. Don't abuse it.