Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 2 months ago

Will colleges lower tuition in the fall to attract students amid corona virus?

Will corona virus be the pin that popped the tuition bubble. Will colleges lower tuition in order to keep their classrooms full.

Will there be “rock bottom” tuition as a result of the virus?

Post corona virus campus experience might be more bare bones with fewer student services and there will probably be less administrative costs and campuses will run on a leaner budget. 

Could this happen post coronavirus?

• nancy

It's possible, but not very likely--at least for returning students. Most colleges are operating on a shoestring already, and they simply can't afford to do this. What is more likely is that they will try to reduce expenses first. So, you may see them cutting staff, closing some dorms, reducing the number of classes or majors that are offered, cutting back on social events, etc. In my conversations with colleagues at other colleges, I've heard of some planning to offer incentives to incoming freshmen, such as discounts on housing, but I haven't heard a lot of talk about reducing tuition. There is a certain amount of federal funding coming that is intended to assist students who have been affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, so I think most colleges are planning to use that to target aid to students who are in need, rather than just giving blanket tuition reductions to students who may, or may not, need it. Most of this is very new, so colleges don't really know yet how much funding they will have, or how it will be used.

Not likely. During the 2008 recession, enrollment increased, since high school grads couldn't get jobs. In my state, there's a lottery-funded scholarships that pays for everyone with a decent GPA to go to a 2 year college or 4 year university. I don't see why tuition would be lowered- what has been hurting US schools is the decline in international students, because of Trump's policies. That's going to be worse until the epidemic is over. Many international students were ordered home this spring and had to drop out of school.

Colleges still have to pay the bills so I doubt it.