So I am 23 and I have a decent job for not having any college but it is just not enough to get my own place, what would be my next step?

I live at home with my parents, I had an apartment in the past and it did not go well and it put me in pretty bad debt, I am almost caught up on all my debt now. I have a good paying job for not having any college experience. It has upside but it takes a while to move up and I JUST don't make enough to get my own place and my hours are too odd to get a second job. I don't know where to go from here, I feel kind of stuck and my job is not really motivating but it is a really secure and good job with upside. 

Check the new CARES Act. The government just sent renting and buying homes to a different level.

Make nice with your parents and stay there.

• Judy

Find a cheaper apartment or a roommate.

My middle son bought a condo for $115,000. He had the education, money to put down [20%] and work history when he was 26. His friend from HS moved in with him and swapped updating the house as payment. Marble floor, granite counters, added a washer and dryer, and painted. 12 years later, condos were going for $120,000 in his complex. His sold for $138,500. His friend stayed for 6 years rent free and moved out to get married.

Now, which one do you see as you? If you can't buy into it, you MUST WORK FOR IT. At the end of the day, the ball is in your court. Be honest and choose wisely. It can be done.

• Judith

I had roommates until I was about 22 years old and could afford to live on my own in a cheap little furnished walk-up without laundry facilities, no shower, no dishwasher, no air conditioning and a refrigerator so small that the freezer held only 3 frozen dinners.  I walked to/from work.  Used a cab for laundry visits and groceries.

In addition to getting roommates you could also start taking classes to obtain some skills in needed areas; e.g. medicine and computers.  Lots of people take night classes.  Heck, one of my sisters got a degree working full-time - took her 10 years to get it but she got it.

Getting some classes under your belt might help you with promotions in your company as well.

Then you get roommates & share an apartment with someone.  That's what many of us did right out of school.  I did this for a few years out of college.  It will cut your housing expenses by half.

Then you need to determine what job that pays well you would/might be interested in doing, look into it, make a decision and then get the skills to allow you to get that job.

• .

Would thirty percent of your take-home pay cover the rent & utilities for an apartment?  If not, you need to make more money.