?
? asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 8 months ago

Are scarves over lower-face as effective as masks against Coronavirus?

No.  Trump (again) does not know what he is talking about.

Masks only prevent YOU from allowing your nasal and throat droplets from spreading too far. They don't prevent virus infection--they only prevent wider distribution of it from YOU to others. You can still become infected, through other means--and infect others. 

yea they work alot of people do it

Yes, which is to say, they're NOT effective at all.

• D g

HOW many germs do you think will find a nice cosy warm spot in the scarf 

Try being non paranoid you can go through a normal day without getting nuts and not getting the flu it's a flu it's not pneumonia 

At least it will prevent you from touching your mouth or your nose 

• Jim

Not very effective at all, about 10% as effective.

It is a false sense of security, but it does show you care.

Probably not, but I figure they're better than nothing.  

I've been using scarves when I go out - I never get close to people, but I feel better having a little protection AND if I ever had to cough - I can cough into the scarf.

• Rick

I dont think it is, stay 6 ft away from ppl

No. It will help if you are carrying the virus to keep you from spreading it. It will slow down the droplets in your breath but won't stop the virus from escaping completely. Plus unless it fits with an airtight seal, air, and the virus will just go around it. Most people have no clue how small a virus is. 200 million can fit on the head of a pin.