Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Is this relative toxic to me?

I have a relative who constantly tells me that I'm not good at anything and I'm lazy and all i do is eat,sleep and use my phone.

He asks me condescending questions like are you good at anything at all....you can't draw,you can't sing,you can't dance,you can't play a sport...you aren't fit for anything thats productive.

Then i argue and say that i write poetry....then he says that poetry cannot fetch you money and it has no value.Then i say that i can indeed draw and paint and my friends and teachers like my work(and my poetry likewise)....then he again gives me the same argument that art won't fetch me anything.Then i tell him that i play football,then he says that there's no way I'm playing for clubs like Chelsea and very few footballers make it so big.Then i say that my grades are actually decent albeit not the best but i belong to the top half of my class and that's good enough for me then he says that these grades aren't good enough.

So i just stop talking to me and after a few hours he's again telling me that I'm good for nothing.I spoke to my parents they said that they don't see anything wrong with his behaviour and they will not back me up.

It sounds like he’s trying to help you in the most fucked up way possible. Yes, this is toxic to you, even so it’s worth recognizing that he has some points. It’s worth recognizing that he’s trying to communicate to you some sort of concern about you being able to maintain your financial well-being in the future. That said his toxic way of going about it is unacceptable, and I do not think it’s fair to you or healthy for your mental state. You could try having an honest discussion about how you feel when he says these things to you. You could try asking him for advice rather than criticism. Otherwise, I’m not sure it’s worth even talking to him. Good luck.

• Chanel

This person is very toxic and you must react to these comments cos this person keeps saying stuff to you to get a reaction.

Ask her/him "You always talk about MY life. What do you do with your life when you are not nosing into other people's lives?"

Do not have a conversation cos he/she just wants you to say something that they can pick on.

Try to avoid him at all cost. Protect your energy. I can't stand mean toxic people.stay strong you are better than him 

That's rude.

Stand up for yourself!

Tell him how you feel about his comments.

Tell someone at school-like a best friend-they will tell you what you should do.

Hurt people hurt, people. Tell him about all the successful poets and artists like Robert Louis Stevenson and/or Vincent Van Gogh.

Tell him about the famous people who had little beginnings but made it really far in life.

Walk up to him and say, "If you are feeling bad about yourself, you can talk to someone. But that doesn't give you the excuse to put me down."

Tell your parents, instead of what he does, tell them how you fell. For example, if you feel worthless or depressed, tell them about it.

Good luck bro!

• martin

This person is bullying you because there must be something about you, not your fault, that makes this person feel you are critical or thinking this person is a jerk. Avoid this person.

That person is very toxic. Don't listen to him. He is just picking fight after fight. If he asks you questions just don't answer anymore. If he makes a nasty statement just say 'OK' and let it go. That will pss him off more than anything, as he is getting a lark out of making you feel like sht and trying to defend yourself. Take the fun out of it for him. It is a shame your parents won't stick up for you, but if that is the case, you do what you have to to get this jacka$$ off your back. And if worse comes to worse, tell him in a loud voice in front of people that you have had enough and you want him to stop harassing you. That will let him know that he has gone far enough. For the record, if you are happy with your life, then that is all that matters. You only change for YOU; not for anyone else.

That's beyond toxic...so bad we could call it corrosive.

Record him if you can. Maybe that'll change your parent's tune about him...

The next time he says something like that to you, you should kick him in the balls and then tell him that's something you're really good at. Stay safe.

He is very toxic. Period.

Maybe you should secretly record him saying that stuff and show it to your parents if they don’t believe you or don’t understand.

Yes they are...........