Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

Would you be turned off if a man told you he didn’t like hard work. And only liked desk work type of jobs.?

I know my boyfriend told me he can’t work physically intensive labor type jobs. He can only work like mentally taxing jobs. But not ones that require him to get his hands dirty or ones where he’s dealing with dangerous tools. He is currently a pharmacy tech. I was shocked when he told me today was his first time cutting the grass. He was talking about his granny had him in the yard and he felt like he was gonna pass out. I kinda felt turn off after that comment.

It depends. Does Lover-boy make enough money to pay people to do those things for him?

I hire a man to do my taxes. No way I can do them well myself. I have zero idea if he mows his own lawn, but I will guess, looking at where he lives, he can - easily - pay somebody to mow his lawn, install a new bathroom, renovate the kitchen, etc. I don't make that kind of money. Somebody who can do that sort of thing or makes the money to pay for it is someone I'd find very attractive. Someone who doesn't make enough money to help with those things, or can't or won't do them, not so much.

By the way, you might want to check your prejudice at the door. Someone who runs a business may be working *very* hard. If someone runs a *successful* business, I can pretty much guarantee is working hard.  My boss is spending his days figuring out how long he can continue to pay his staff during a state-ordered stay-at-home order. Yes, eventually we could apply for unemployment, but that could raise his rates of insurance. Before you say "but the government will pay for it" try and comprehend the government has zero money, except what it confiscates from citizens, (that's you and me.)

That's fine, think of the future, he'll make enough money to hire people to do those things. 

• Happy

Run, run fast.........,

No.  This describes my husband.  And I am not bothered by the fact that he makes close to $200K per year in his desk job, doesn't risk injury, and has a great intellectual capacity.  My sister's ex was much more physical and did a lot of manual labor.  Now he's younger than my husband, broken down physically, and in isolation because years of working with chemicals in shops led to serious lung problems and he's terrified he'll die of COVID-19.  My husband, meanwhile, is working from home and recently did a teleconference with Congressional aides about the state of national cybersecurity.

Culturally, it has been traditional for the man to do "manly things" , like cutting the grass. But honey, the guys who sit behind desks run the world. Bill Gates?  One of the world's wealthiest men, guess who cuts the grass at his house. Men with desk jobs include the president of the country (and other countries), CEOs of fortune 500 companies (look it up), and decision makers that affect virtually everything in your life (maybe not cutting the grass...).  But if you are still turned off , preferring a strong man who digs ditches, cuts your grass, go for them and leave this poor guy alone to follow his own path.  

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe he has health issues, but...yeah... that kind of sounds like he is going to need another granny instead of a wife.

• Jerry

It would bother me that someone was so physically inactive as to be significantly lacking in physical endurance, in physical strength. But preferring clean safe non-physical indoor work is just as valid as preferring physically demanding rugged adventurous outdoor work. He only needs to get a little more exercise, not change his career choices! 

Talk about how YOU need to "tone up and get my heart rate up" and there's a 2 for 1 deal at some affordable fitness center. Become a bit of an exercise bug yourself and plan dates that include physical activity. "Let's take a picnic over to Bond Falls and do a little hiking." "Let's ride our bikes to Riverside Park and back." Are you guys sexual? After the activity you shower together and massage each others tired muscles. That leads to stuff. And makes him think walking 7 miles is a good thing to do for a date, lol. 

If he absolutely refuses to engage in physical activity, you two may be incompatible. I don't think I could do a long term relationship with a total slug, you know? People don't have to LIKE exercising, but they do have to DO it to maintain their health. That kind of self destructive sloth would bother me. 

No?? Not everyone likes to get their hands dirty working in the yard. If stuff like this really makes you lose interest in your boyfriend then you might want to reconsider your relationship. That’s just what I think anyway.