Mike asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

I'm 68 years old how hard would it be to learn linix operating system. I HATE WINDOWS 10?

• 6 days ago

You don't have to learn the OS, I've just gone Xbuntu18.04 at the age of 70. There is a pretty good suite of "programs" included. It is somewhat different from Win but if you can get someone to show you the basics you will pick it up quickly. The Applications Menu is where you will find everything you need to customise and set it up as you want.

Disregard what others have told you.  Age has everything to do with it.  I'm 74 and started with a DOS system and learned to do all that I had to do.  I had word processing, drafting, and accounting programs that I loved.  Over the years, newer operating systems and printers made the programs unworkable.  I have bought newer programs and tried to learn them but nothing worked as good as the old DOS programs.  I'm afraid I have a terminal case of "old dog, new tricks."  I would love to have a "First Choice" word processing program and a "Turbo Cad" program that worked like the DOS programs.  They even came with handbooks with indexes!  

If you can use windows- then you can use Linux. I have been using ubuntu since 2008, occasionally  have used Linux Mint.

I never learned how to do code or type commands in the terminal......I just use a mouse, and point and click.

I recommend any of the Linux Mints-except LMDE, any of the Ubuntus, Zorin, and others. There are over 300 different Linux distros out there- many are NOT for newcomers- just stick with the ones recommend for newbs-

I personally favor Ubuntu Mate, but Linux Mint Mate is just as good.

Look here at Distrowatch- on right side of page you will see the top 100 and their rank in popularity.  https://distrowatch.com/

Also look at this link- some recommended for newcomers-

https://itsfoss.com/best-linux-beginners/

Your age has nothing to do with this. Your aptitude for learning new things relative to a computer does. At the age of 68 you would have grown up in an era where computers dominated your work and home environment for the better part of your adult life. So how did you do every time Microsoft changed OS’ or some new software program came out? Did you struggle to learn them? Either you easily adjusted to those changes each time over the years or you didn’t. If you struggled, then you will likely struggle with Linux. If you caught on easily, then it should be a breeze. 

If you’re struggling with learning Win 10 then you should look into taking a Win 10 class at a local software training facility near you (like a company that specializes in computer training, or a technical school that teaches computer related courses, or a continuing education center at a college etc). Once you learn where things are on Win 10 you will probably like it.

• stan l

I was 73 when I installed my first Linux Mint O.S. I learned to use it in a couple months. Now I'm 78 and still using it and w10.

• Dave

If you have to ask the question, you probably do not have the knowledge to successfully run linux. There is nothing wrong with windows 10. If you "hate it", it's more likely that you're just too stupid to use a basic OS. It's literally no different then the last 2 windows releases. The UI changed slightly, but that's about it.

• Dave

You hate someone because of an anonymous post on Yahoo? that is almost the definition of stupid.

Depends on what yo mean by "learn."  Most versions of Linux have a graphic interface that .looks and feels similar to Windows.  (Actually it is closer to the Apple interface as it is build on the Linux kernel.)  "Learning" hot to use Linux is not harder or easier then learning to use any version of Windows.

Where the main difference comes is that Windows is designed so that you can do 99% of what needs to be done using the graphic interface.  You changing settings, turn on and off options, mount drives, etc all within the graphic interface.

But in Linux much of that is done at a command line.  You have to know the command to type in to changing settings, mount drives, install programs, etc.  But once you know the command, you have a lot more control over what you can do with Linux then you do with Windows.

I will be 68 later this year.  I use Windows on some of my machines and Linux on others.  There are something that Windows does best and others that Linux does better.

If you want to try out Linux, most version have a version that you can download to a flash drives (usually 16 GB or larger).  You put the flash drive into a USB port and reboot your computer.  It will start up in Linux (running right from the flash drive.)  You can play around with it and see if it like it and can get it work any better for you then Windows 10.

If you decide you want to run Windows instead, shut down, remove the flash drive, and restart the computer.  You are back on Windows 10.

• P

If you can get it installed, it's not hard to use for basic tasks, but I doubt it would really fix your frustrations in most cases.  It would just change them to something else.  

just to let you know... nobody makes the device drivers for linux anymore.   If you hate win 10, maybe you could use Apple Imac instead.   but it costs so much for the desktop and the softwares.

PS:  This guy "master....puppet who made a comment is a complete idiot.  I'm a network engineer who maintain a server using Linux redhat.   good luck if you can find a device driver for HP laser printer with this linux thing!

Source(s): personal experience
    • Just Wondering0001

The question's rhetorical btw, don't really need an answer, & neither does the Person who asked the original question here.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=linux+drivers