promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

15 year old girl marrying a 30 year old man?

why today is not ok for a teenage girl to marry a man twice her age? my grandma was 15 when she married my grandfather. why nowadays its a big deal?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

A 15 year old is a minor. It's illegal.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

MY great grandparents were first cousins.

Out of five children, only one of them is normal. We know better, now.

Also, 75 or 100 years ago, young people (you're *really* not going to like this) were more mature and had already taken on more responsibility, and life expectancy was only 55 or maybe 60 years.  

Back in the 1950s or 60s, it was legal in my state for 14-year-olds to quit school - IF they had full  time jobs. Can you or your peers imagine working 35 or 40 hours a week? The thought then (before all-encompassing welfare) was that if a Mom and Dad were so poor they couldn't feed their kids or keep a roof over their heads, a 14-year-old could quit school, go to work, and turn the money over to parents to feed his/her family.

Give up your fantasies of being a stay-at-home wifey-poo.  Hardly ever happens, these days.

• 2 months ago

Times have changed.

• 2 months ago

Yes , before women were married off as a commodity. Majority of them died during childbirth, which is why most male aristocrats had 3-4 or more wifes. 15 year olds body not capable to produce healthy offspring, mentally she is not capable to handle sex and at the end of the day many child brides  below 15 died during sex

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Under 18 with a 30 year old- NOPE

18 with a 36 year old -YUP

Hope that makes sense. I think marrying twice should be fine if you are an adult not a 15 year old girl. 

• Raja
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

At the age of 15 you are still a minor. In most developed countries it is illegal to marry a minor. The 30 year old man could be charged for rape.He will end up in jail as a rapist not as a Bridegroom .Give up the idea and save the man.Laws were different now a days compared to the days of your grandparents. It is a big deal because it is a criminal act.Rape .Have patients .Plan your life ,become a wonderful bride at the correct age ,at least over 18 years then a faithful wife and a loving mother to your kids. All the best good luck ,you little Angel.

Source(s): a wonderful
  • 2 months ago

Ah but she didn't marry HER grandfather when she was 15.  Romeo and Juliet were both 15. People did get married younger decades ago.  There was also slavery some time before that.  And sexual slavery where a girl was forced to marry some old sleazeball against her will. We have fought to stop this.  Of course Romeo and Juliet were fictional.  But it had to be plausible to sell.  Something that people believed was a tragedy based on possible and not uncommon events.  The tragedy being that the ongoing hostility between families lead to the death of two young innocents just starting their lives together.   Now if Juliet had been forced to marry the elder Montague that would have been unacceptable for entertainment even then.

• Karl2 months agoReport

You do realize that Romeo and Juliet were not real people.

• Happy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Call the  authorities, this is illegal in almost every state

• Enrique2 months agoReport

why would i call the authorities on this? my grandparents married 60 years ago

• 2 months ago

Because back in the day, the best way to have your family survive was if your daughter married someone who was already established.  Men were suppose to provide for their wife and family, and unless if she was old, she would never find someone of her age who is stable enough to provide for a family. 

• 2 months ago

For a lot of the same reasons eight year-olds can’t work full time in factories. Not only is childbirth risky in young teens, but they haven’t matured nor should they be bound in marriage for the same reasons that made sense before: life expectancy for example.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.