bettyb
bettyb asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

What is the difference between psychotic depression and bipolar?

My old psychologist whom i no longer see classified me as bipolar but i don't think i fit the bipolar disorder.

My psychiatrist has diagnosed me a psychotic depression with psychosis features. i am on medication and it is working but i would like to knew the difference.

don't tell me to google it 

The difference between the two is mania/hypomania. During mania/hypomania, a person may feel euphoric, full of energy, or very irritable. 

Symptoms of mania/hypomania

-Abnormally upbeat, jumpy or wired 

-Increased activity, energy or agitation

-Exaggerated sense of well-being and self-confidence (euphoria)

-Decreased need for sleep

-Unusual talkativeness-Racing thoughts

-Distractibility

-Poor decision-making — for example, going on buying sprees, taking sexual risks or making foolish investments

With psychotic depression, you do not experience the highs of mania/hypomania. Mania/hypomania is the key characteristic of bipolar disorder and is what separates it from depression and other mood disorders. 

How long ago did you get your diagnosis?  In 1989, my oldest brother was diagnosed as "Bipolar-Manic".  He got full manic episodes in which he did things like leap from a moving car.  However, he never got coincident depressive phases.  He had "the blues" for a short time, but that was all.  This diagnosis is apparently give to only 1 person in every 125 who are diagnosed with bipolar disorder: it's rather rare.  

With advances in genetic biology, advances in diagnoses & treatments come about quite often.  You should ask your current psychologist whether you may have been misdiagnosed in the past & whether you might benefit from a re-appraisal.