Anonymous

Is bookkeeping a good career?

I live in Ontario Canada. I have a 2 year community college diploma in accounting. I want the become a bookkeeper. Do employer prefer a person with a degree or a diploma. People it is useless to study to be a bookkeeper.

Sorry I wrote this on my phone at night. 

*people say is it useless to study to be a bookkeeper

Has anyone completed a bookkeeping course. What are you doing right now 

Also can I open my own bookkeeping business just with a diploma or do I need a degree 

Yes it’s an incredibly good one but what’s even better is to get your CPA License. That’s a really good license to get you can earn so much money.

• L

Bookkeeping is a FANTASTIC career.  STOP listening to 'people'.

I took, Bookkeeping, in high school, and I got great jobs.

In order, to begin a Bookkeeping Business, you will need a 4-year degree and be a CPA.

Be a beekeeper instead.  The bees are dying, man!  The world needs you and it needs more honey!  Use your little bee smoker and stun the bee world!

I could say that Bookkeeping is still a good career. There are a lot of employers who are looking for bookkeepers. Try also applying online, probably you can see more opportunities there. Other businesses look for part-time employees and you can work in the comfort of your home, too.

no thats what 16 year olds do maybe you should use your brain and do what other people do

I took bookkeeping as part of my associates in business management degree back in the 80s. My "worthless" 2 year degree set me up for a career as a personal secretary to an eccentric family business for the last 33 years. Out of work now because the virus closed the business,  I still have the skills to do data entry working with the software that is supposed to be 'replacing' us.

Indeed you need a degree in bookkeeping. There is nothing wrong with a bookkeeper. If you like the job just go ahead and do it. Dont think about other's opinion!

The fact is that there are a LOT of small companies out there who need someone like you and there are also a lot who will bring their bookkeeping to you.  With your own business you will need a good software package so that you can present your clients with good looking information.  Many, many people who run/own businesses hate paperwork and don't understand accounting.  Don't let all of these nay-sayers bother

you.

Yes, you do have to be good with software to do bookkeeping or accounting but someone has to decide which accounts to use and put the right information in the right spot.  We still don't have computers that can think like a human.

I've been in accounting for 30+ years and started out as a bookkeeper.  And over the years I've had many, many clients who pay me to do their books along with my regular job (even though I never opened an official business).

It is not a good career choice any more because software has replaced the entire job of bookkeepers.  Anyone can use the software without special knowledge or skill.

My sister got her AS in accounting and worked as a bookkeeper for 5 years until 2003.  She is now a medical coder.  Over half of her class is no longer working in bookkeeping due to lack of jobs.

A 2 year degree is pretty much worthless.  Except cops & firemen get paid more with degrees. 

They teach bookkeeping in high school. The 2 year degree is not going to get you a job but if its between you and someone who dropped out of high school, you would get the nod.

I took accounting 201 and 202. 

The reason they say its worthless is a degree or a course is not needed. A little bit of common sense and most people can do the job. Maybe a few minutes of someone explaining things.

Nobody needs an online bookkeeper because it's not a skilled profession. Any idiot can do it.  A high school or college kid too. You don't need a diploma but you will not get any business.