Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

Can I still file a police report and will it go anywhere?

I have posted about this more but more details have come up. Ex girlfriend and I got into an argument 3 weeks ago. I dropped my phone and she picked it up but wouldn't give it back. I tried to physically take it back and she fell down, hurt her wrist. She ran off and still had my phone. We reconciled (in a platonic manner), I apologized. She apologized and offered the phone back. I said don't worry about it and got a new phone. Flash forward to today...I realized the phone had pictures on it I want back. She had a friend drop it in my mailbox but turns out it was the wrong one. I'm angry at her because it was her responsibility to get it back to me. If I file a report with the police, what can happen, if anything?

The reason she didn't drop the phone off herself is because she is sick with a fever (and also pregnant, our child).

posted about this before** sorry for typos.

She offered to give your phone back and you said "don't worry about it."   Do you really expect her to give in back to you?

• Edwena

You will not file a police report because the cops will not accept your report. They do not want any part of your problems with your ex. A cop may offer you a suggestion that you grow up, but that would be unofficial and off the record.

My cousin, aged 69, had argument with girlfriend.  She claimed he pushed her into a wall.  Since she was a court reporter, she knew people to complain to.

Next, my cousin was charged by US attorney with physical abuse.  Under the Bush "Safe Streets Act", that was a no bail offense for him (he passed a bum check 50 years before, plead guilty and got probation, and his son whom he lived with had a gun in the house).  US marshals transported him 300 miles to a federal detention center.  He was there for ten months, denied his heart medication.  Federal prosecutors decided it was no case (girlfriend would not testify, not injured) so he was let go.  Cousin died a few months later.