Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 2 months ago

Can a laptop last indefinitely if you take care of it?

Don't download anything you're not sure of?

And rebooting it every day?

And making sure to run all the updates?

• cosmo

There's usually a small battery that maintains the clock.  It will run out after a few years.

• John

I buy a new HP laptop every 3 yrs to try and keep up with new versions of all of the software and hardware that comes with them.

As the internet and other external programs become newer, old computers become slower and slower and less able to interface with new things.

My 1999 Dell Latitude CPxH-500GT Pentium 3 still runs fine, but slow, of course.  Battery needs replacement.

My 1995 AST Acensia J30 still runs but HDD almost filled (only a 900MB) and floppy drive does not work.  Needs battery.

My 2006 Acer Aspire 5610-4610 runs Vista fine.

My 2011 Lenovo G555 had a video chip detach after 3 years, replaced motherboard.  Runs Win 7 okay

My half dozen 2011 HP Elitebooks are upgraded to Win10, run great.

My 2012 Dell Inspiron R15 i3 is doing fine after upgraded from Win 8 to 10 

I always use on a table, mostly with a USB keyboard and mouse, I use an external exhaust fan box from USB port.  Lowers internal temp by a lot.  These are on Ebay for $15 or less, called "CoolCold Ice Troll 3" or similar.  Some are lighted, have screen showing temp.  But I use a hand held infrared one from Harbor Freight for $8.

the battery will eventually have to be replaced anyway

Physically, it may do - I have (or had) a couple that lasted 20 years or more.

They would still work as well as they did when new.

They are not functional in any practical way though, as they have slow CPUs and little memory, totally incapable of running any up-to-date software.

In that sense, updates are a negative feature - as an operating system like windows is updated, it's memory requirements may change so while the original version may run well, after a few years of updates it is very slow unless the machine RAM is increased.

If I remember right, XP was like that, the original RAM requirement was just 512MB while by the time it got past the service pack 3 stage it needed 2GB to run smoothly, without continuous swapfile use..

On a slightly newer scale:

I've just passed a 13 year old all-in-one desktop to a young relative for doing homework etc. and that still works like new.

My previous main laptop was over 10 years old when I sold it on, still working perfectly. It was limited to 4GB RAM which was not enough for one program i needed to use, so I had to get a new one in that case.

My second laptop is even older (12 years), and still perfect. It has interchangeable drive caddies and runs anything from DOS / Win 3.11 to Win 10.

It's all down to how well the machines are designed in the first place, and how well they are maintained.

No.  Even if you're nice to the computer, a hard drive does not last forever.  An SSD doesn't last forever either, but at least it doesn't have head crashes.

Well no. It may last a long time, but as most electronic and mechanical things, it can fail at any time. The hinges will most likely fail over time as Anonymous mentioned. Over time, the battery will degrade and not hold a charge (or much of one) and it may develop other problems.

• JB

My Linux laptop looks like it survived a nuclear weapon.

It may last for 10 years but I always buy a more modern one before it fails.

No mechanism can last forever. Everything breaks down. Everything.