promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Micks asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

My employer provided me health insurance from work, but I already have joined insurance with my wife. Will it conflict?

I don't understand how health insurance work

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Kini
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

No conflict. Just go with whichever is cheaper for you.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

You need to look into whether you are eligible for hers if your employer provides it.  If you can have both, yours will be primary.  Regardless, it's administratively not much fun juggling two plans.

• 2 months ago

Yes, it could conflict.  If you are allowed to have one as primary and the other as secondary coverage, for what isn't covered under the primary policy, and you don't mind paying for two policies, fine - if you want that much coverage.  Most people just need one policy.  You should probably chose and cancel the other one. 

• Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Pick one.  Cancel the other.  Not rocket science.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Shay
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You have a few choices here.

You can opt out of your employer provided insurance.  (NOT usually a good idea because it is usually the cheapest option)  And just continue to be covered by your wife's insurance.

You can opt out of your wife's policy.  Since you now have insurance available, it might be considered an event that would allow you to change her policy even though it isn't open enrollment.  You would have 30 days to make this change.  She would drop you off her policy and then she would be covered by her employer and you would be covered by your employer.  This is probably the cheapest option for keeping insurance on both of you.  If you can't opt out until open enrollment, then you could still keep both policies until you are able to cancel your enrollment in her policy.

You can keep both policies on you.  If you do that - YOUR insurance policy becomes YOUR primary insurance.  Any medical claims you have would be submitted to YOUR policy first.  After your policy covers their share (or applies it to the deductible) - then you submit the claim to your wife's policy - which becomes your secondary policy - and they pay for whatever they would cover.  After that - you pay any remaining balance.  Unless you have major medical issues every year - this level of insurance coverage probably won't really help that much.

You need to consider what each insurance policy costs and what each policy covers to make a final choice.  

• 2 months ago

i would ask your boss about it

• Mike
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you get your own insurance and your wife has her own insurance, you both can get single person policies, two of which are cheaper than one family policy. A family policy costs the same for a husband and wife as it does for a husband, wife and 10 children.

• ...Show all comments
    • Anonymous
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

The common tiers are individual, employee/spouse, employee/(child/ren), and family.  But, for health insurance, companies 50 and fewer employees are just the individual price for each individual on the plan added up.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

then you can turn down your employer's insurance.

• Anonymous
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Maybe not.  You don't know the rules of the spouse's policy.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.