promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

It is grammatically wrong to say I am liking this book?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

It depends on whether or not you're still reading it or have finished it.

"I am liking" would mean that you're still reading it - although it would be far more natural to say, "I'm enjoying this book."If you've finished reading the book, you could say, "I like this book," I liked this book," or, "I enjoyed this book."

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Technically, it's wrong. Verbs of mental state are not usually used in the progressive. You either like something or you don't. BUT companies started using "like" in the progressive a few years ago (such as McDonald's "I'm lovin' it") so now people have started using it that way, too. It might be understood as a temporary state- "I'm loving this book right now, but I might not like the ending". 

• 2 months ago

It is unusual but not 'wrong'.

• Vivian
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

While "I am liking this book" is not grammatically wrong, you could also say: "I do like this book".

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i dont think so

• 2 months ago

why worry about grammar with a very common expression that is used by many people?

• 2 months ago

It's not grammatically wrong.  But up to just a few years ago it would have been very unusual.  Today people very often use this form.  "Are you seeing this?"  instead of "Do you see this?"  And McDonald's slogan "I'm lovin' it." instead of just "I love it".

• 2 months ago

Yes.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.