How do full tuition scholarships work?

So, I am waiting to see if a school will award me a full tuition scholarship... I'll know sometime mid-April. But, I already have $35,000 in merit based aid. If I were to receive this full tuition scholarship (school tuition is $46,000) would they combine the two numbers (I feel like they wouldn't) or just top off the $35,000 to $46,000.

Basically, what are they going to do with my existing merit based aid if I receive this scholarship?

• MS

Your additional aid could likely be used toward housing costs, textbooks and other supplies, etc.  It depends on the details of your scholarships - some can only be used for particular things - but you should be able to use at least some of the money to offset your expenses other than tuition.

• martin

Tuition is only half the cost of college. The rest is room and board and incidentals.