Unit secretary -corona virus ?

I’m a unit secretary at a nursing facility ..my wing has patients with the coronavirus ..I have takin off a week so far and wondering  when you think I should go back to work? If there are still patients with the coronavirus do you think it’s OK I stay home? I’m the soul provider for my three young boy 

It might be a good idea. Protecting your family is your first job. A secretary is not an "essential" job.

• Lisa W2 months agoReport

Thank u! 

• n2mama

Sure, if you can afford to take the time off, keep your job, and still provide for your boys. But I don’t know how much paid time off you have, how understanding your employer is, what your financial situation is, etc.  Can you afford to lose your job and support your kids on whatever benefits you are able to claim? If you have only taken a week off and there are diagnosed cases in your ward, chances are pretty good you’ve been exposed already.

The virus is not going away anytime soon. You need to take a hard look at your finances and options and go from there.

If you have six weeks on paid time off and your employer is willing to let you take a long vacation, great. If you're living hand to mouth, you might need to consider getting back to work or finding a different job altogether.

• Kieth

This is a question for your HR department, not a bunch of hacks and trolls on the internet.