Can a rabbit recover from poopy bum? ?

My rabbit has had poopy bum for about 2 months now (not dioreah). At first it was just a little but now I'm having to clean her at least once a day. I've changed her pellets, added more hay. Checked her teeth for any obvious signs that could be affecting it but nothing! She has a large inside and outside run with lots of toys but has just lost all interest. Her bonded rabbit died about 6 months ago, at first she seemed OK but I'm wondering if this could be the cause. She just sits in her hutch peeing and pooing in the same place and has started to get urine burns on her feet. I'm worried with summer coming that she will easily get fly strike.

Has any one else had a rabbit with poopy bum? Did anything help or will the vet just suggested to put her to sleep? 

Any advice is appreciated 

Thanks

• ?

Nameless is spot on. A healthy rabbit should never have a poopy bum. The cause is usually diet-related. Some rabbits are more sensitive to certain foods than others. 

The first course of action is cut out all foods except for hay (as nameless suggested). This should clear her bum up. Once she starts having normal, round, cocoa-puff sized poos, then you can slowly add her pellets back in. If pellet brand is ever switched, it should be done slowly by mixing the old brand with the new over a period of a week or two. But now, after she has been on nothing but hay, you can introduce a healthy pellet brand. Be sure it is a plain pellet with no colorful add-ins or "gourmet" mixes. It should be plain and the first ingredient listed should be timothy hay. 

If she starts having trouble with the pellets (soft poos), then back off the pellets again. If she continues to have good poos, then well and good. Allow her to have about 1/4 cup of pellets per day. 

Once she is back to eating hay and pellets, you can slowly try giving her one type of green only. Don't offer a variety because you need to see if a particular green doesn't agree with her. Offer a tiny bit of cilantro (for example) one day. If all remains good, then offer a little more of the same the next day. Gradually increase if her poos remain consistent. After a week of success with that one green then you can switch to a different green. Go through the same process with each new type of green to see if any one is the culprit. 

On a separate note, a single rabbit should not be housed outdoors as it spends too much time all alone. Bonded pairs are needed for outdoor housing. If you could bring her indoors, that might help with her loneliness. Here is info on housing a rabbit indoors:

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com

• patty

there was a case like this on yorkshire vet. The vet advised the family to feed the rabbit veges and fruit including its usual food.

• patty

a vet visit would not hurt

She needs to see a vet. 

To answer your question though, I had a rabbit with this issue. I cut out veggies and pellets temporarily and only fed her hay. Her problem cleared up and I started to reintroduce veggies and pellets. Every time I started feeding her pellets again she started having the same issue so I permanently cut out pellets. Introduce veggies one at a time because its possible a certain veggie you are feeding is causing her problems. 

If you currently feeding alfalfa hay or pellets you can switch to timothy pellets and grass hay. 

But again, she needs to see a vet. If it was just the poop problem I would say try a diet change first but shes not acting normal so it sounds like there is something going on. 

With the help of a Veterinarian instead of an owner who guesses about the problem?  Yes.