promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

1993 Toyota pickup click that sounds like the starter solenoid, 12 volts at the battery, 6 volts at the starter?

Don't need any rude answers, just need to know that would cause this, Im a disabled man, not a mechanic and it's my brothers truck and i don't want to tell him to start throwing parts at this truck because he's out of work right now, he shut the truck off at a gas station and then started getting the click and finally got someone to test the battery and starter and like i said, it's getting 6 volts at the starter and i'd like to know what's wrong with the truck so he can get it fixed and shut up about it

Update:

He bought a brand new battery last December and it won't even crank with a jump start, truck was running fine and he turned it off and went in at a gas station and that's when the problems started, it's a manual shift so he tried push starting it and that worked and it runs fine, just not enough volts at the starter to crank it

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If it "clicks" but the car won't start, it sounds as if the starter solenoid has gone out. Take the pickup to a mechanic and have the mechanic check the solenoid. If the solenoid is bad, have the mechanic replace it. 

• Solenoid is built into the starter, new starter and its doing the same thing

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Might be the solenoid. I'd have a load test done on the battery to make sure all cells are putting out required amps and volts. I always make sure the connections are clean and not corroded since that can really limit how much juice can flow from the battery to wherever it's needed. Especially the positive terminal which can grow crystal forests from the vaporized lead in the sulfuric acid vapors escaping from the battery.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Take the battery back and have them at the store LOAD TEST THE BATTERY.  Chances are good it is the battery that is faulty.  Why you go back to the place you purchased it is that they will take the battery back and give you another and then FIRE THAT BATTERY BACK TO MANUFACTURER AND GET A CREDIT FOR IT.   A replacement battery will cost you nothing.  Faulty is faulty.

Toyota is a good truck.  Ask Scotty Kilmer on YouTube.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Normally I would say replace the starter, but it sounds like you have bad connection somewhere.  Check all the cables and such.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • arther
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

does it start if you screw driver the starter motor? what if you bridge the starter rely? If the 6 volts is across the battery terminal while its trying to crank the battery is flat

• 2 months ago

The positive cable to the starter motor from the battery needs to be cleaned and checked for internal corrosion. If the cable and connections are clean and tight you likely have a discharged battery.

Charge the battery with a portable battery charger set to 12 volts, 10 amps, for 6 hours and then try starting it. You can also go to an auto parts store to get the battery and alternator tested for free.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Dan
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

You need to clean all connections and load test the battery before you can begin to diagnose the problem. If the battery is 12v while cranking (clicking) and you only have 6v at the starter you have a bad connection somewhere. If you have 6v at the battery when cranking (clicking) the battery is bad.

• Anton
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

If you actually have 12 volts at the battery and 6 volts at the starter you have a totally toasted switch between.

Your starter will have 0 volts, until you try to start the engine.

A car battery has 12.7 volts at full charge.  If you measure 12.0 volts, your battery is half dead.

When you try to start the engine, the voltage at the battery will drop.  If it is dropping to 6 volts at the battery when you try to start the engine, your battery is worthless.

• 2 months ago

no matter what part of world you are in ..the clicking is the starter solenoid trying to engage ..only happens with flat battery ..change battery 

• ...Show all comments
    • Dan
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

High current connections must be tight and clean and voltage drop tested. The number one reason for unnecessary battery or starter replacement.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Replace the battery terminals.  Connect a jumper cable from battery negative to a metallic part of the engine.  Try to start.  Truck starts, check for a bad engine ground cable and connection.

No start,  connect a (thick) jumper cable from battery positive to the B+ terminal of the starter solenoid.  Try to start.  Truck starts, check for a bad battery cable from battery positive to starter.  Check for a bad fusible link.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.