promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

If someone at your house dies overnight, is it appropriate to call 911, even though its not an emergency?

Who would transport the body if you don't call 911? What's the procedure?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

If you are sure the person is dead-the body is cold-- then call the police nonemergency number. But 911 is also a routing service, so let them figure out what's right.

I understand why you don't want to tie up emergency medical services right now.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

If you actually know that the person died and that it was natural causes, then call the regular phone number for the police.

If you aren't a doctor and can't tell with absolute certainty whether the person's dead, then call 911 and get an ambulance in case the person is still alive. That is an emergency.

If you don't know how the person died, and it could have been murder, even if you don't think that's likely, it's an emergency; call 911.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It takes a "competent authority" to say the person is dead.

I did call 911 and reported my Father was unresponsive. They sent an ambience and that crew called the sheriffs office after they confirmed my suspicions. The sheriffs office because the scene needed to be investigated by law.

So yes, call 911 report what you have observed and try to disturb nothing. After the medical release of the body they took it to the funeral home. I got the bill but they did the transport.

After the fact I was told that was/is the right procedure to follow.

• 2 months ago

I've called police non-emergency for an obvious death, and they still routed the call to 911 and sent an ambulance.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Josa
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Well, for goodness sake.  This is information that you should know unless you're very young.  You call the police.  If the person is deceased and would need an autopsy, the police would determine that, they would call an ambulance and the body would be taken by ambulance to the coroner's office.  Once the autopsy was done, the funeral home would come get the boy for whatever burial arrangements you made.  It's against the law for anyone  not licensed to do so, to transport a body.

• 2 months ago

Has a doctor inspected the body and declared the time and cause of death? That has to be done. If a doctor was not in attendance, then call 911. They will send the police and somebody (a doctor) from the local coroners office.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Of course it is an emergency and of course you call the emergency number

• 2 months ago

You can call 911 for a deceased person. There is no real other method unless hospice or another care provider is aware and can contact the right agencies to deal with it. The major issue with law enforcement is to make sure the death was not the result of a criminal act.

• 2 months ago

The people to call might be the coroner or the persons doctor.

• Alex
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The fun fact of a lot of places and their 911 systems? If you call the non-emergency lines you often still get routed to the 911 system.

It's cheaper and easier for them to deal with it all with one source.

So call 911. This isn't an emergency per se, but it is an important reason to call. It's not like some people have been doing and calling 911 because the cable guy is late showing up and someone can't get their Pay-Per-View.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I have OFTEN had my non-emergency call to a precinct routed to the 9-1-1 answering point, which has on occasion berated me for calling them.  I simply reply that I didn't call them -- the precinct did.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.