Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

Name for my baby girl?

My husband recently suggested the names Elya (pronounced El-lea) and Eleya (pronounced El-ay-a) for our baby girl. Honestly, I'm not sure how i feel about them though. I would love to know what other people think, to see if it helps make up my mind.

What do you think about Elya and Eleya? Which one do you prefer/

Thank you.

• GR

I would pronounce Eleya with a definite a sound in the middle, causing it to rhyme with Freya. In that scenario, I actually really love it; it flows well, it has familiat elements without being trendy and it looks beautiful in writing.

Any name that you have to tell people how to spell or pronounce will be misspelled and mispronounced by everyone from teachers to coaches to doctors to bosses.  That's just a reality.  

If you and your husband are willing to saddle your child with that burden, then pick the name you like the sound of in your own head--that may be the only place you'll hear it said correctly.  

I'm not trying to be mean, just telling you what I've observed. 

I would avoid any name that you have to teach people how to pronounce. Otherwise, your little girl has to spend the next 80 years teaching people how to pronounce her name.

• Aga

Go with your gut. You'r not convinced that you like it.

For me they remind me of "a liar"

Do you like Leah, Ellen, Elspeth or Eliza?

• Helen

They sound tacky and made-up.

I like them both, I think with either one you will likely wind up doing a lot of correcting people at first in terms of pronunciation... but that can happen with any name really. I'd say Eleya is the one I prefer.

They both sound nice, but the first one, to see it written, I would have pronounced it El-Yuh. So if you were to go with that, she may have to explain the pronunciation to everyone, and that can be a bit annoying. They both sound very nice though, if that is any help.

let your husband have his choice after all she is his baby also

• Katie2 months agoReport

She is also HER baby, why should her husband get his choice if she isn't happy with it? They should both love the name they choose for their daughter. Not just him and not just her.

I prefer Laurel.

I would be partial to Elsie. My great aunt had that name. She was a flapper girl in the 1920s. Since we're in the 2020s, this would be an awesome throwback.