Allie
Allie asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

How often do you use berries in your cooking?

• denise

Seldom,  just use strawberries to have with cheesecake or in Eton mess [chopped & mixed with crushed meringue & whipped cream] for a yummy dessert.

I buy dried cranberries, apricots, cherries, dates & raisins to use in baking cakes, muffins or muesli bars.

The closest I come to berries is maybe strawberry or raspberry jelly on my toast. I love the flavor, but I just cannot get past chewing on berry pips.

I usually have berries raw, but I do like roasting off-season strawberries. It makes them taste much better. I also like lemon and lime pies, I suppose that counts as fruit cooking. Oh, and apple crisp and pies in Autumn.

• When they are in season I use them a lot. I'll make pork chops and top them with berries. Make blackberry sauce for lamb. Duck is perfect with berries. Homemade berry ice cream (berries with tarragon is AMAZING). And all kinds of custards and lava cakes and things like that topped with berries - sometimes macerated in Amaretto.

The picture is my strawberry tarragon ice cream served with more fresh berries!

• Mog

Not nearly often enough. I had a bumper crop of strawberries last spring. I still have 5 gallon bags of them in the freezer. 

Every Friday or other when I prepare tarts .