If my son did not get accepted to a good higher public UC University that has his major, should he go to a good Private University?

He was not accepted to a UC University that has his major but he was admitted to Pepperdine a good Private University which has a good reputation for his major: Business Administration.

He was not accepted to the best public Cal State SLO or Cal State San Diego which he really wanted to go to. He is on the Wait List. He got accepted to Cal State Long Beach which is ok.

What would you do if it was your child? Would you want him to go to a good Private University if he cannot get admitted into a good higher Public University? 

What are the pros and cons of a Private and Pubkic University?

I know I selected FOR MYSELF the "best college" for my major.  There is something about "graduated from X" on your resume that is gratifying and opens doors.

• MS

Pepperdine is a good school.  It is also a very expensive school.  I wouldn't suggest your son take out loans to cover the cost of a business degree at Pepperdine because jobs (especially good jobs) are not guaranteed with that degree, particularly right out of college. 

Pepperdine is better regarded than the Cal State schools you mention.  It is not better regarded than the UC schools that you initially referred to, but it sounds like he didn't apply to or get accepted by those.  Those are two separate systems, and the UC schools are mostly excellent.  If you are California residents, the UC and Cal State schools will be far cheaper than Pepperdine.  

Can you afford a private one?  they can get very expensive.

Send him to Pepperdine. It is more highly regarded than CSUs, including Long Beach. With the glut of business-related degrees on job markets, he needs to be a top student at a highly regarded university to have any respectable chance of a decent job upon graduation.

The Starbucks barista with BBA/MBA is neither a myth nor a joke.

• Hockey

There is something not right here. Your first sentence speaks of a good UC university, then you swith to Cal State universities in the rest of your question. Those are two different systems.

I would rate Pepperdine over most Cal State ones, but not over most U Cal ones.

for a Bus major, the critical thing is the placement office's work in getting a good job. I do not have experience with that in California

• John

Other than a brief mention of which school he wanted to go to, what your son wants to do is not touched on in your message.  I would ask him, and use that as a starting point for your discussions.  

If he does not have Corona virus