Numbness After Foot Surgery?

I had foot surgery to correct a bunion on my right foot on February 24th, 2020. They did a lapidus to correct it. I’ve been non weight bearing ever since and the healing has been going relatively well. However, I have some numbness around the incision and around the area a little below than the base of my big toe. I know nerve damage was a risk with the procedure but I’m just wondering if this type of thing is temporary (will go away in a few months) or if I’m going to have to deal with this forever.

• Andy C

Nerve damage from surgery is inevitable. Any cut through the skin will sever nerve cells. The question is not IF but how many nerves got severed.

Nerves have very little capability of healing and usually the neurons have to be regenerated, which takes time. How much time depends on how many nerves were killed and how capable your body is of replacing them.

Immediate numbness isn't what's worrying. Numbness that takes years or is permanent is what is.

There's nothing you or your doctor can do except create, in you, the most ideal environment for neural regeneration which is why you may be prescribed vitamin supplements like B2, B6 and B12.

A dietary change is recommended to include whole foods that are high in vitamins and minerals. Studies are showing that vitamin supplementation is not so effective and the body does better with real food.

Regular exercise will likely better supply blood to the area, thusly aiding the regeneration.

No pill; just you.