Verulam 1 asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 5 months ago

Did you watch the recent documentary about Meghan, Where did it all go wrong? It was interesting, but still didn't really explain why?

it all went 'wrong' and so FAST! What stuck out was the totally OTT Wedding the couple had ..... pure Hollywood. I saw nothing to make me think going back to (now) LA was the Master Plan.

Sorry  - "I saw nothing to make me think going back to (now) LA WASN'T the Master Plan."

• Sal*UK

I did - it was only the last 5 minutes that actually addressed the title of the programme.

Her behaviour is what caused the problem - her refusal to "become" a Royal, to adhere to our traditions, ............ I could go on ad infinitum but its all out there on line.

• Jas B

Even for a British woman, who has grown up among Royals, such as Princess Diana found it very difficult to adapt to royal life.

For a financially independent modern American woman it must have been far more difficult. Especially as much of the British media were truly hateful about her.

Whether they will find what they want in North America remains to be seen, I hope they do.

The wedding was not over the top, what do you mean.

• Clo

I didn't watch this "documentary" as I don't think the writers have all the facts, operating on speculation.

The racism and xenophobia is where much went wrong.

Meghan's being ill-informed about how monarchy works is  part of the problem. I doubt that she studied the family---she could have learned a lot from Prince Philip's experience with the family, as he wanted to make modernizations and was told no so many times. The couple might have done better if they sat down and talked to Prince Charles about their plans, their problems and come up with a better-constructed plan before approaching the palace... Charles may have been able to talk to the Queen and she might have been able to instruct courtiers on what to do.

Harry's feelings about his place in the monarchy also has much to do with what happened. He did not like being taken for granted--a second banana to the courtiers.

Something that I've noticed from 47 years of studying this particular family is that they really don't communicate amongst each other. Each member as a court of their own, more interested in competing with each other at times than solely supporting the monarchy and each other.

The Queen is said to have great sympathy for Harry because she can recognize her sister, Margaret's struggle with her place in the family--being the second sister, important as long as her sister had no children, or the two youngest children were minors where there was a chance of being appointed a regent.... This understanding is why the Queen is said to have left the door open for Harry's return if he wishes to rejoin the working royal designation.

Yes I did, unfortunately, it was so bland that I have forgotten it already.

• Inspect it went wrong when Princess Meghan discovered that the duties that come with being a princess are quite boring.

everything went downhill when they met

No one, whatever they have done, deserves the attention of the scumbag British tabloid press.