Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Tire shop didn’t tighten lugs nuts and wheel came loose and hit two cars in front of me ?

Left my truck for a couple of day while getting a rims repaired. After picking up about 1mile down the road tire fell off and it 1 car. Damaged it really bad it look totaled. Call the tire some and owner came down and blamed it on me says it hit someone the knocked the rim loose. Found the lugs nut on the street we’re perfect condition no cross threaded or anything. The stud were perfect too. Shop owner was their when I put the spare on and tighten it. Would not take blame he ended up leaving saying he would refund me the cost of work he did in the rim. Nothing else. Any recommend. It do I have to take fully liability. 

Reminds me of comedian Ron White. Sears did that to him and he said he was waiting to rename the Sears tower to Ron's big f**King building.

1) Make a police report

2) Report it to your insurance

3) Do NOT talk to the tire shop.

Cool story bro - tell it again.

With that said, I've never had a shop leave lugs loose, but I have had a few overtighten the sh** out of them.

Sounds like you didn't torque the lug nuts or have the wheel properly seated on the hub or spindle and it was nowhere near a proper installation.

Get your insurance to protect you in this. Call your agent ASAP.

This is why you have insurance. If they feel it was the tire shop's fault, they'll go after them with all they've got.

Yes, the liability is yours. If I was the shop owner, I would not refund you ANYTHING.  Take me to court. You can't prove it. That simple.

• A Hunch

Well, if it really did happen within 1 mile of being picked up (5mins tops), we can surmise that the shop would be responsible.

" I put the spare on and tighten it"

ummm,Did you put it on or did he? That should answer your question.Common sense says the person who installed it is to blame.

• I found them in parts about 200-300 ft only found 3. Tire shop was maybe less than a mile away or so. Owner of tire shop could not tell my I was able to tighten them by hand. The tire when it impacted the car in front of me was bad then bounced off and hit a park car. 

If you can prove the lug nuts were not tightened properly by the repair shop, you have a case in court.  

But you can't prove that, so you don't.  That means yes, you're 100% liable for the damage.  The owner is always legally responsible for loss or damage their vehicle causes, end of debate.  Being liable (legally responsible) doesn't mean you did anything wrong, it just means you're responsible for it.

After you pay for the damage your vehicle caused, you could sue the repair shop for compensation due to their faulty workmanship.  But their lawyer would ask you to prove your accusation, and you will need proof.  The court will reject any statement that includes "well obviously" or "it's the only logical explanation", because those statements don't prove anything.

Any decent attorney will love to take your case on!