promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Joseph B asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 2 months ago

Did the Swedes Do Wrong by Prince Carl Philip?

Prince Carl Philip, of Sweden, was born on May 13, 1979. At the time of his birth, he was heir apparent to the Swedish throne, as he was the eldest son of King Carl XVI Gustaf.and Queen Silvia. Then, on January 1, 1980, the Swedish people voted to change their Constitution, so that the eldest child, regardless of gender, inherited the throne. As a result, poor Prince Carl was bumped out of position by his elder sister, Victor. Today, he is not only behind her, but her two children, Estelle and Oscar.

Was it fair to bump him out of position like that? When the United Kingdom decided to adopt gender equality, it provided that males born prior to October 29, 2011, retained their positions in the succession.

What did Prince Carl do to get the Swedish people mad at him like that?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Favourite answer

It always amuses me when people try to apply principles of fairness and equality to something as inherently unfair as a hereditary monarchy.

• Joseph B
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

Well if you are going to look at that way . . . 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Clo
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Male-preference primogeniture is sexist. To allow the eldest child of a monarch regardless of gender is fair. It is not a personal vendetta against any one.

• Rico
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

No, he had no idea of what was happening when they changed the rules, he wasn’t even 1 year old at the time.

• 2 months ago

Have you ever thought that just maybe he might not have wanted to be the heir to the Swedish throne?  

Much has been made of the fact that Prince Harry didn't want to be a Prince/member of the Royal Family but nobody appears to have considered whether Prince William would have preferred not to be 2nd in line to the British Throne.  He's never said so, but I'd lay odds a big part of him could do without knowing he'll be King one day.

If that's what the Swedes want, so be it.   Fair?   Lots of things in life are unfair!!

• Joseph B
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

At less than a year old, I doubt he had any fixed ideas on the subject.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I don’t know but Carl Philip is gorgeous. Why aren’t our royal men hot like that? Instead, our’s look like inbred German big-eared monkeys with horse teeth. 

• Verulam 1
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

To me, 'gorgeous' he is not.   But fact is looks may need to be the initial attraction, it's reallyi more about who/what the person is, that matters.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.