Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 2 months ago

How can I avoid people or the police from tracing my ip address ? Would using an VPN help make it impossible for them to trace me ?

I'm in a bit of danger from someone discovering me and so I've signed up for an VPN in an effort to stop myself from being discovered. Would this help protect and hide me by using an VPN ?

• hart

turn off your phone and take the battery out

ore store you phone in a sealed aluminum,- container "turned off"

It's easy quit downloading illeagal porn then you wont have anything to worry about

Depends on the VPN - you would need one that won't hand over their logs to the police (or whoever is asking form them), at least as long as you're not contemplating to do stuff that would get you on the radar of any of the three-letter-agencies,

Cyberbunker has been shot down in September last year, so you'll have to look elsewhere.

Many VPN's keep records of who uses them and what IP address they come from. If the VPN is in the states, you can't prevent the police from subpoenaing them.

ALL free ones can not be trusted to not keep records.  They must pay for them somehow and your data is one way.

A VPN that allows you to 'log in' through various servers around the world would help.  Also a VPN provider that is not located in the country where you live makes it harder for police to force them to turn over records.  Sure you aren't just being paranoid?

depends on what you did

Sounds like something a sex offender would ask

• Roo2 months agoReport

DO NOT judge! It's not your place to say stuff like that. Answer the question, or poke yer nose up somwhere else.

Using a vpn wouldn't make it impossible for your IP address being tracked just harder. I would say as long as you have a VPN no one will know u and your personally visted a website or messaged someone unless you have someone after you. If someone is purposly trying to track you they can even with a VPN it is just harder

Even if someone got your IP address, they can't see your exact location. It will only show the town/city the IP is based out of, and even then it may not be accurate. Pretty much every website you visit logs your IP address.

• roderick_young

An IP address, coupled with exact time, can pinpoint an exact address, if one has access to the logs of the routers.  On shows like Forensic Files, they detail how they caught a murderer taunting the police.  IP address led them straight to his door.