What is the correct sentence?

I lived on the farm for two years.

I have lived on the farm during two years.

The second one is incorrect. It should be 'I have lived on the farm for two years'. They both mean you lived on the farm in the past but the first one means you no longer live on the farm. The second one means you still live on the farm.

I lived on the farm for two years. [But I don't live there now.]

I have lived on the farm for two years. [I started living on the farm two years ago, and I still live there. Note, we can't use 'during' in this sentence.]

• RP

Both are fine. The first implies you're no longer living there, but the second has a faint suggestion that you are. If the second were "had" instead of "have", it would also be implying you were no longer there.

• bluebellbkk

Yes, but we don't say 'during two years'.

Both the simple present "lived" and the present perfect "have lived" can be used with "for" followed by a length of time. The use of the present perfect indicates that the situation is still true or was true until very recently. "I lived on the farm for two years back in 2000-2001". "I have lived on a farm for two years and I still do." or "I have lived on a farm for two years, but just moved to the city."

You CANNOT use "during" with a length of time. Use it with a point of time or descriptor of time. "I lived on the farm during my teen years." I lived on the farm during the 1990s."

• ?

CORRECT: I lived on the farm for two years.

INCORRECT: I have lived on the farm during two years.

• bluebellbkk

No; we can't use 'during' in this sentence.

• Zirp

the second suggests that you lived there from januari first to december 31st, and that the two years may not have been consecutive.

The first suggests that the years - no matter when they started - did be consecutive     (yes I know "did be" is a taboo)

• martin

The first is shorter and more easily understood because it is the normal way of expressing it.

Either is correct.  The first one is a more active voice.

I lived on the farm for two year - or - I have lived on the farm for two years.