promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What is the correct sentence?

I lived on the farm for two years.

I have lived on the farm during two years.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

The second one is incorrect. It should be 'I have lived on the farm for two years'. They both mean you lived on the farm in the past but the first one means you no longer live on the farm. The second one means you still live on the farm.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

I lived on the farm for two years. [But I don't live there now.]

I have lived on the farm for two years. [I started living on the farm two years ago, and I still live there. Note, we can't use 'during' in this sentence.]

• RP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Both are fine. The first implies you're no longer living there, but the second has a faint suggestion that you are. If the second were "had" instead of "have", it would also be implying you were no longer there.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Yes, but we don't say 'during two years'.

• 2 months ago

Both the simple present "lived" and the present perfect "have lived" can be used with "for" followed by a length of time. The use of the present perfect indicates that the situation is still true or was true until very recently. "I lived on the farm for two years back in 2000-2001". "I have lived on a farm for two years and I still do." or "I have lived on a farm for two years, but just moved to the city."

You CANNOT use "during" with a length of time. Use it with a point of time or descriptor of time. "I lived on the farm during my teen years." I lived on the farm during the 1990s."

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

CORRECT: I lived on the farm for two years.

INCORRECT: I have lived on the farm during two years.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

No; we can't use 'during' in this sentence.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

the second suggests that you lived there from januari first to december 31st, and that the two years may not have been consecutive.

The first suggests that the years - no matter when they started - did be consecutive     (yes I know "did be" is a taboo)

• martin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The first is shorter and more easily understood because it is the normal way of expressing it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Either is correct.  The first one is a more active voice.

• 2 months ago

I lived on the farm for two year - or - I have lived on the farm for two years.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.