Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 months ago

Can I plant sweet potato slips alone without half the potato on the bottom and still get a full grown potato out of it?

Just planting the slip (stem) in the dirt alone.

If it has roots, it will grow. Slips are removed from the potato. I live where there's still snow so I take them off and plant them in pots and put them in the green house until June. The short season and cool nights makes growing them here possible. This year I'll put them in beds and cover with plastic. And put hardware cloth under the beds to keep out pocket gophers. 

• frank

Dip the stem in a rooting powder to make sure. You should be fine. Amazon has all kinds of rooting powders, and they all work.

You can also make a solution of rooting podwer and water in a quart jar, place your stem in the jar, leave it in the sun and watch the roots go crazy.

When I was a kid I planted part of a sweet potato by a tree at my grandmother's house. Well when I visited my grandmother's house 16 years later I had a sweet potato that weighed probably 100 lbs