Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

Steps on How to file a claim in a no fault car accident situation? And how long do I have after the accident to file?

Hello! I need a little help. I live in the state of Illinois. Back in mid February I got rear ended by someone driving that caused Him to rear ended me hard enough into the person in front of me. 

The police were called of course immediately and they show up, the police got the report and the young man behind me was said to be at fault for the accident. The police filled out a report and sent it to me and the others involved to fill the back out and sent it back. As far as going to file the claim? Is there a specific amount of time one has to file a claim? And how do I go about it? I’ve never had to go through this before and could use a little help. Do I get the copy of the report and call my insurance and go step by step with them? Or can I file the claim with them at the police station with them having that information already? Any helpful answers appreciated. It’s been a long overwhelming month since then, it’s been a tough time and I could use helpful answers at the moment! Thank you in advance. 

• Edna

Most state laws allow you to wait for as long as 2 to 4 years to file a claim, depending on the state in which you live. But the sooner you file a claim, the better. You've already waited over one month. 

You do NOT file a claim with the police at the police station - the police have absolutely nothing to do with filing an auto insurance claim and they don't care if you NEVER file one. 

Phone your insurance company or your independent insurance agent, and file a claim. Your insurance company or your agent will tell you what you need to do, and will handle everything for you.

• car253

Most states have a deadline with a maximum of one year or more to file.   You are not that late.   Just call your auto insurance agent or company.    The insurance company will order the police report for you.   But in your case you may not even need it because you are not at fault for the accident.  The person behind you rearended you and pushed your car into the car in front of you.   Call your auto insurance company and put in the claim. 

Some insurance companies let you do it online on their website. If yours does, that's probably the best option. If yours doesn't, then call them and ask them what to do.

Yup, there is a time limit on when to file an insurance claim.  It's officially called as soon as possible.

Whenever you sign up for an insurance contract, the contract says you agree to notify your insurance company immediately if your vehicle becomes involved in any type of loss or damage.  And they're deadly serious about that condition.

• Snezzy

Certain people who post answers in this section are nearly always correct. Obi is one of them. Everyone should absorb his good advice.

• May

You didn't say a word as to whether or not you contacted and notified your insurance as you are required to do??

Simply notify YOUR insurance company.  They can and will advise you on your options.By the way, although the guy who rear ended you may very well be liable, The police report did NOT state that he was liable (at fault)  Cops do not and cannot determine liability for an accident.  ONLY insurance companies can and will do that.

And.........There is no such thing as a "no fault" accident.  Someone is ALWAYS at fault.

• Ron

Every insurance card and document states to call your insurance company asap after an accident. This is so basic, it shouldn't need to be said.

1) You should have contacted your insurance company immediately. FAIL. 

2) Even if you don't carry full coverage your insurance company NEEDS TO KNOW about it. I guarantee there is a clause in your policy, which you have apparently never read that says so. FAIL.

3) Your Insurance company and DMV both have pages on their websites that explain what to do in case of an accident. If you call them, your insurance company can also provide expert advice about what you need to do even if you don't have full coverage. Obviously you are too clueless to think of that. FAIL. 

4) The police do not determine fault, the insurance companies do. All the police do is take a report, make sure no one is hurt, and they try to determine if someone violated the law. That is ALL. 

5) So CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. You should have done so a month ago. FAIL.

good luck

Source(s): Please God, let the corona virus kill all the stupid and clueless people.

Contact the at fault driver and find out who is his claims adjuster. Call the adjuster. Tell him you wish to make a claim.

• g

You should have contacted your insurance provider immediately.  

You can still do so, and should.

Your insurer will represent your interest in this situation.  That's the job you have already paid them to perform for your.

Get on it!

• Eva

The claim is filed with your insurance company and you should have called them immediately after the accident happened. You will have to submit a copy of the police report to them. You're already more than 30 days after the accident, and they may deny your claim.