promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

HELP I have just knocked a pint of beer over my brand new laptop, dried it off but it won't start?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Turn it upside down and let it dry out completely for a day or two and then try again.  It's not necessarily fried, though it could be.  The key is to make sure it is completely dried out before you turn it on again.

• ...Show all comments
    • megalomaniac
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

@skibee that's at the least dishonest and probably unlawful (i.e. fraud).  It's not the manufacturer or the retailer's fault that the beer got spilled.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Remove the battery and dry it. Go a service point as soon as possible.

• hart
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

you have don a good job

now both of you drank

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Unfortunately you did the wrong thing by trying to turn it on again. Trying to dry it out with a towel/Rice/airing cupboard is almost always a waste of time, and the delay will more often than not make things worse. Ideally disconnect the power and remove the battery if you can. Take it to a local repair shop to see if the liquid damage can be repaired. The liquid spill sets up an electrolytic reaction on the tracks and components, which is why applying power and leaving the battery makes things worse. If you have accidental damage under your household insurance you may be able to claim, but it won't be covered under normal warranty.

If it is a cheap laptop it is usually uneconomic to repair, if it is something like a Macbook then it may be worth repairing. As others have said it turned out to be a very expensive pint of beer you had

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Too late now.Nothing will help.

You had to turn it off right away and dry.

Start collecting money and stop drinking beer by laptop.

• 2 months ago

Desiccant would do better than rice.  But doubtful it will ever work right. Exchange laptop for another and stop drinking around computers. I never do.  All my computers work fine, some for decades so far.

• 2 months ago

Turning it on was a problem.  Turn it off, Dry off the outside, Take out the battery if possible, open it up and put it in a 5 lb (2.5 Kg) bag of rice for a week.  Only then put the battery back, plug in the charger and try to start it.  

You may have already burned it up by trying to power it on while still wet.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

if that is the only lap top you have how come you could still write here. if you have two use the other one like you are doing

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.