promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I had no problem printing from my laptop with Wifi and now it quit printing   why?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Remove and re-add the printer to your laptop, the IP address may have changed or the printer may have just given up, removing and re-adding usually resolves these issues or helps identify the cause

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Check to make sure your printer is still connected to your router.

• 2 months ago

one likely item is that you had a power interruption to your router and when it came back on, it assigned a different IP address to the printer. you fix this by deleting the printer in the laptop's operating system and then reinstalling it

• 2 months ago

Without details of what you tried, we can only give general advice.  If you haven't tried much yet, the first attack would be to localize the problem, which in broad strokes, is either in your laptop, your network, or your printer.

If someone else can print to your printer through wi-fi, then the problem isn't the printer or network, most likely.  Bring your laptop close to your wi-fi access point, and run a speed test to make sure the network connection is solid.  If it isn't, you have to fix that.  Solid network connection?  Then check the printer queue.  Are print jobs building up in the queue?  Is printing turned off / deferred?  Is there any error message when you try to print?

If no one can print, check the simple things on the printer, like is it plugged in, does it have paper, is it out of ink/toner, is it on.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lv 7
    2 months ago

wifi is a bad way to print. it is very fickle.

you see, when you turn on your computer, your router gives it an IP address. same with all devices connected to your router.

but if your devices get turned on in a different order, they get different IPs. then when your computer tries to print to the IP your printer had previously, it ends up trying to print to its own IP.

only way to fix this is to remove the printer from the computer, and add it back, which often requires uninstalling/reinstalling software.

better to just run an ethernet wire from printer to router, and leave it always on.

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Imagine you are ringing the garage -Tell me, how do I fix my car? It won’t start. what do you think the response would be?

In the same way vague questions like "why can't I print" will only get vague answers.

Update your question with more information, like make and model of printer, make and model of computer, is it a new problem?  If the printer is new then speak to the support line of the manufacturer after all that's what you paid for.

Have you selected the correct printer as defaults and how/what are you trying to print? are there any error messages?. Have you checked the cartridges for ink levels?, is the printer switched on? are there any warning lights on the printer. Often there is a troubleshooting table to run through on the manufacturer's website

Help us to help you

• 2 months ago

Could be a whole bunch of reasons including being out of ink or the s/w updating without you knowing. Reboot both devices and try again after clearing the printer queue.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.