While in quarantine, I’m thinking about writing a book, should I write it by hand or should I type it first ?

• Marli

If you have word processing software and a computer, use it.  Your writing hand will thank you.

I write using a computer, but, since I can't use it -- it is in the library -- for the duration of the epidemic, I am writing by hand. I find typing on a cellphone difficult to re-read.

Back up what you have typed using a thumb drive.

I would write it long hand.

• chorle

Those are good ways to write a book's first draft. I think most people use word processing programs these day but I have hear a few writers say writing by had or typing is helpful to them for first drafts and make the first self edit easier for them 

• Orla

Write out your outlines and notes. Type the body.

• Andrew

Please etch the text onto stone tablets. 

Both, simultaneously. When I write, my left hand types out the even-numbered chapters while my right hand pen-and-papers the odd-numbered ones. I'm currently in the planning stages of a system that will enable me to also use both feet. Once it's up and working and I've done all the documentation I'm going to patent it and sell it to other writers. Hope this helped.

I think you will have time to work it in cross stitch.

I prefer Barbra Cartland's technique, laid out on the sofa with a peke under one arm and a box of choccies, dictating to some poor sap, but obviously that's not going to work if you are isolating.

• audrey

Since I guess we're gonna be quarantined forever, might as well write it long hand.

You definitely want to use a computer unless you have a compelling reason to write longhand. (Some people find the required slowness lets them be more creative. Others have a shared computer they can't use any time they want.)

Writing 60,000 words longhand is a *lot*, too. Your hand will thank you. And so will your eyes as you attempt to count words.

Your first draft is likely to be terrible, and that's okay. It's for your eyes only. Once you write "The End," you start making notes on all the things you know aren't good enough. You will do a heavy edit at a bare minimum, more likely substantial revision or even a start-over rewrite. If you've used a computer, you can copy and paste what survives from the original.

Tips:

--Don't revise or rewrite the first draft. Start a new document. Why? Some of the changes you make, you will decide the original was better.

--Make each draft one big document, not a separate one for each chapter. This enables universal changes in a single step.

--Back it up at least once a day to a place/device not in your home. The free level of DropBox holds about 15 books, six to ten drafts each. Or email it to yourself every day as an attachment. Or put it on GoogleDocs.

--Word is fine, but it you don't have it, either OpenOffice or LibreOffice, both of which are free, are also fine.

• Mack

Why don’t you decide. Then it will be a big surprise for us.