Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Why do people who can't afford to pay for college go to college ?

Life is a gamble. I gambled on going to college, and I could not afford it. Well now at least I have an opportunity to work. Other people might think that after graduating from college then they automatically will get a job, but not everyone gets a job after graduating.

There are people who think I was trained to do what I am doing now with my life, and when people look at my resume I think it doesn't interest other people, so nobody has offered me a job after looking at my resume.

I was told by some people that nobody is going to want you, so what I am doing with my time is I am demonstrating my strongest abilities that I developed on my own over a period of time to the rest of the world. It's up to other people to decide if what I produce is desirable.

Apart from having a college education I am also self taught.

Student loans to better themselves 

Source(s): Tuff time payin it back
  • cool

Their parents don't want to go to the trouble of helping their child find a suitable form of career/job.

So they send them off to college and hope for the best!

We need to move away from this myth of 'arrogant young people' apparently forcing the government to focus on education/college. Parents want more college because it creates a useful scapegoat for anyone who is deciding what to do after school.

'Go to college if you want a good job'

'Network if you want a good job'

'Do an unpaid internship if you want a good job'

All meaningless platitudes which do nothing to help the individual.

• cool

The problem is that people are using college as a way to defer making real adult decisions, rather than seeing college as something they do after deciding upon a path. College is seen as a safe cushion, rather than the baptism of fire that it really is.

As the world economy develops, it becomes increasingly more important for a country to keep up w/ the demand for qualified people who have been sufficiently educated. No one should be denied higher education because they can't afford it. If the country expects to compete, it can't afford NOT to have adequately educated people. Lower education became mandatory/free and the country flourished.

A college degree usually means higher salary. 

To get better jobs and college for their children.

Because they also understand that without an education, you can not move ahead anymore.  People's resumes don't even get to the hiring manager's desk because they don't have a degree.  That degree opens doors.  So going into debt for a degree that opens doors is a worthwhile trade off.  The only caviott is that you must complete the degree in something that can generate an income.  

Art history and 4 year psychology degrees, don't get you there.

they don't want to be poor their entire life. 

Government sponsored easy money. As usual the government screws up.

• Elwood Blues

In the midst of a TWO TRILLION DOLLAR BAILOUT for big business you suddenly piss on tuition money for individuals?  Doesn't the hypocrisy give you whiplash?

They got a scholarship?