hollie asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

I want I dog but my mum thinks the dog we want cant be left alone!?!?!?

my mum and dad were thinking to get a Cavachon but all of a sudden they are now saying that she cant be let alone in the house for as long as we need, 

me and my brother go to school at 8am and my mum and dad go to work at 8 am too I get home at around 4 and my mum and dad get home at 5 but whilst that's happening me and my brother go to my nans for childcare! 

please help I really want this dog to the point where I cried myself to sleep and we've already called her Lottie !!

I don't understand why people don't think about getting the dog trained to be a good dog & trustworthy. Dogs need education just like children do. In fact they learn in exactly the same way, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition. Doing something over & over & over again & again until is is perfect.

She can be left in the kitchen with a child's gate to keep them in the kitchen. You can buy an exercise pen, which I think is just about perfect way to keep a dog safe. Once you dog proof you home & have created a safe environment then she would be able to be left alone. But all of this takes training, the dog needs to learn a lot of things & it is up to you to see that the dog is educated.

Theres no such thing as a cavachon.

A puppy cant be left alone that long. An adult dog, maybe

And momma is exactly correct and its her house not yours.

Any dog should be crated while family members aren’t home. Seems a long time to be left unattended without being let out

• Maxi

Your mum is correct, none of you have the time and no pup or adult dog needs to be brought into a home and left alone for hours on end, not let out to toilet, not walked, not trained or socialsed. Having a dog is a big commitment that needs to be considered seriously and also a financial commitment too as it would also require hiring a dog walker daily as a minimum

Best Practive with adult dogs is NOT to leave them alone for more than 4 hours.   Can YOU hold for the length of time you suggest you might expect a dog to hold for?   And if housetraining is to be sorted out any time soon, somebody MUST be there to let the puppy out roughly every 2 hours, tops.   And once overnight.   If you try leaving a puppy especially, for up to 8+ hours, you will all come home to a house full of whatl he needs to do, and destruction.   Plus puppies need to be fed at lunchtime.

You/your family is not in a situation where having a dog is going to work.   Dogs are social animals and need human company instead of being in a pack - their humans become their pack.

'I want', never got, when I was growing up.   For good reason and your parents are totally right.   Now is not the time.

ps   Please don't buy into the mutts BYBs are producing, and producing for one reason - to part naive buyers from their money.

• ?

The hell am i supposed to do? Pretty sure your mother isnt going to care about the opinion of some random person on the internet

Sorry but your mum is right.   You shouldn't get a dog and especially not a puppy.  If you were to adopt an older dog and also pay out for a dog walker every day then maybe mum could rethink.  

It's not being fair on the dog and you are only thinking of yourself.

• Veschengro

L is jojo ok do ya know?

• mokrie

ANY dog needs to go out for walks. It would be cruel to get a dog--any kind of dog--and leave it alone all day to poop in the house and suffer loneliness. Don't be selfish and get a dog no one will be there to care for.

I'm sorry but you cannot get a puppy if no one is able to be home for an 8 hours stretch, that is for certain.  The puppy MUST be let out to potty, certainly every two hours in order to learn to become housebroken.  Puppies also require frequent play and socialization.  

Your puppy CANNOT control or hold its pee any longer than 2 hours until 12 weeks old and then it can ONLY hold it 3 hours maximum.  Your puppy MUST have lunch meal until 4 months old, again NOBODY will be home to feed it.  So unfortunately your parents re right NOT to choose a puppy.  

If you were to be able to get a dog at all, it would have to be the adoption of a HOUSEBROKEN and crate-trained adult dog, if nobody is home for 8 hours and even then that is a terrible existence for a COMPANION animal to be ALONE for 8 straight hours and not all dogs can hold their body functions that long.  If nobody can come home at lunch to let a dog out to potty and get some exercise, I cannot recommend a dog unless your schedule changes.  You could consider: a cat or something like a guinea pig/gerbil or fish, that is more self-sufficient and independent.

• mokrie

Even cats suffer loneliness. They want attention too.