promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Is a 17 year old old enough to make basic decisions like what clothes they wear (if they have a job and are paying for the clothes)?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

To some extent, yes.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

In most cases, yes. Unless they're mentally handicapped and the job is pushing a broom part time at Arby's.

• edward
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The 17 year old who wears what they want is called a prostitot. That’s not a typo. Not old enough to be a hooker but shows a promising career as one in a few short months.

• Orla
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

That derogatory term you refer to refers to a prepubescent girl not a 17 year old teen.

• April
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Yes but that doesn't mean you can dress like trash.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • GB
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

At age 17, my mother had not only left school and was working, but had to move several miles from her home, to live in a hostel. Even if her parents had a phone, her Mum would not have been calling her everyday to tell her what to wear, or arranging to supervise her with clothes shopping.  

• 2 months ago

Sadly, not all of them. Being 17 and employed doesn't always mean a child has enough common sense to properly clothe themselves.

• Jill
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes they are. Any parent that is still exerting this kind of control over a 17 year old needs to get a grip. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

At 16 I was working part-time, paying for my own stuff and led a semi-independent life. As others have said, it really depends on the individual child.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes and No. If they still live at home, they must follow the rules that their parents put in place.

• The only answer is yes. A 17 year old is more than old enough to make those decisions for themselves.

• 2 months ago

I started buying my own everything by that age. I think it all depends on the individual and how mature they are.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.