Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Is a 17 year old old enough to make basic decisions like what clothes they wear (if they have a job and are paying for the clothes)?

To some extent, yes.

In most cases, yes. Unless they're mentally handicapped and the job is pushing a broom part time at Arby's.

• edward

The 17 year old who wears what they want is called a prostitot. That’s not a typo. Not old enough to be a hooker but shows a promising career as one in a few short months.

• Orla

That derogatory term you refer to refers to a prepubescent girl not a 17 year old teen.

• April

Yes but that doesn't mean you can dress like trash.

• GB

At age 17, my mother had not only left school and was working, but had to move several miles from her home, to live in a hostel. Even if her parents had a phone, her Mum would not have been calling her everyday to tell her what to wear, or arranging to supervise her with clothes shopping.  

Sadly, not all of them. Being 17 and employed doesn't always mean a child has enough common sense to properly clothe themselves.

• Jill

Yes they are. Any parent that is still exerting this kind of control over a 17 year old needs to get a grip. 

At 16 I was working part-time, paying for my own stuff and led a semi-independent life. As others have said, it really depends on the individual child.

• Rick B

Yes and No. If they still live at home, they must follow the rules that their parents put in place.

• The only answer is yes. A 17 year old is more than old enough to make those decisions for themselves.

I started buying my own everything by that age. I think it all depends on the individual and how mature they are.