Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 5 months ago

Would it be possible to wash the lungs of a coronavirus victim with disinfectant or inhale vapor to kill off the virus within the lungs?

Update:

I was also interested in the answer given by Jack and it was a toss up between Amy and Jack. I have also considered whether that type of resonant frequency treatment might actually work since we know that more or less everything has a resonant frequency at which things are seriously impacted or destroyed. This was a question out of desperation really just get some kind of feedback about the range of possible means of combatting this virus. Sometimes chemistry, physics and biology overlap …?

Update 2:

I also considered this idea which I found on the site given …. https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-mi...

Update 3:

So the full spectrum of possibilities can possibly be considered …. ?

Update 4:

As you may have gathered I am not a medical person but I am a scientist. If this virus appears in the bloodstream and the antibodies are found in those who survived the virus ... would those same antibodies be effective in the more seriously affected patients via a transfusion thereby introducing virus free blood? It would mean removing all the contaminated blood from the critical patient whilst replacing it …. ?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Amy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favourite answer

Any general sort of toxin will do as much damage to the human as to the virus. Your suggestion is like trying to destroy a computer virus by wiping a magnet over the hard drive.

The treatments that work are very specific chemicals that block viruses from getting into the cells or prevent them from replicating.

The human immune system makes a huge range of antibodies against absolutely everything, and then weeds out the ones that target your own body. When something foreign like a virus appears, it triggers the one random antibody that happens to match that virus. This causes your body to make a lot more of that specific antibody. So your natural response is extremely specific and doesn't harm your own cells - but it takes time. (You also have general reactions like fever that DO harm your own cells).

• 5 months ago

Virus, probably not, but I have wondered if the lung could be rinsed of asbestos or silicates by using a liquid breathing medium, such as a perfluorocarbon, and a kind of ultrasound cleaner. 

Does anybody remember that kidney stone treatment that suspended a guy in an elliptical chamber full of salt water, (it looked like a giant bathtub shaped like a rugby ball) and focused blasts of underwater sound on his kidney stone that they turned to into mud that he peed out the next day!  The chamber was an ellipse in every direction, so they put the transducer at one focus and the kidney stone at the other focus.

• 5 months ago

That would have the effect of drowning them by blocking the ability of the alveoli to exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide.  It would suffocate the patient.

• 5 months ago

No and don't do that. that is not how it works. Please read directions of your 70% ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL in red bold letters: FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY. 

Be sure to pour on hands or use cotton and rub liberally on skin.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Cowboy
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

What if we could simply program our immune system to recognize and destroy these viral particle as soon as they touch human tissue - it would be just like washing the lungs but even better; it happens automatically!

and it's known as a vaccination...

• D g
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I WONDER IF IT WOULD KILL A PERSON to inhale disinfectant ..

geee 

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No, as the virus is inside cells of your body. You cannot kill a virus inside a cell without destroying the cell too

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Of course not. .

• 5 months ago

Absolutely not. The virus embeds itself inside the cell membrane to replicate. Even if it did work like that, any chemical strong enough to impact the virus inside the cells will also kill the healthy tissue in your lungs. Your lungs lose their ability to get oxygen to your blood when exposed to bleach, for instance. If you somehow lived through that experience, that reduced function would put you at much higher risk if you developed double pneumonia.  

• Jim
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

At that point, the body is causing most of the issues in the lungs as it fights the disease. The body needs time to fight the infection

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.